A non-scientific look at the QBs of the 13 & 14 drafts

GunnerBill

So I suppose the idea for this thread came out of the different perceptions of EJ and Derek Carr thread. The 2013 Quarterback draft class was seen as an all-time weak class and the 2014 class was seen as having more depth but no slam dunk Franchise calibre QBs. In total 8 guys from those two classes have started so far in the NFL.

3 from 2013 - the first three QBs picked - EJ Manuel, Geno Smith and Mike Glennon

5 from 2014 - the first 4 QBS taken and the 10th - Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr and Zach Mettenberger.

So I've looked at the 4 key statistical categories of those eight guys over their NFL careers so far.

The results are below:

Completion %

1. Bridgewater - 64.4%

2. Mettenberger - 59.8%

3. Bortles - 58.9%

4. Glennon - 58.8%

5. EJ - 58.6%

6. Carr - 58.1%

7. Geno - 57.5%

8. Manziel - 51.4%

Rating

1. Bridgewater - 85.2

2. Glennon - 83.7

3. Mettenberger - 83.4

4. EJ - 78.5

5. Carr - 76.6

6. Geno - 71.5

7. Bortles - 69.5

8. Manziel - 42.0

YPA

1. Mettenberger - 7.9

2. Bridgewater - 7.3

3. Geno - 6.9

4. Glennon - 6.5

5. EJ - 6.4

6. Bortles - 6.1

7. Carr - 5.5

8. Manziel - 5.0

TD-INT Ratio

1. Glennon - 1.93 (29/15)

2. Carr - 1.75 (21/12)

3. EJ - 1.33 (16/12)

4. Bridgewater - 1.16 (14/12)

5. Mettenberger - 1.14 (8/7)

6. Geno - 0.73 (25/34)

7. Bortles - 0.64 (11/17)

8. Manziel - 0 (0/2)

Now I don't pretend that any of the above gives us a complete picture on any of the eight Quarterbacks considered.... but I think there are a few interesting things that come out of it:

- at least based on the numbers so far Teddy Bridgewater looks to have been the best available option over the two drafts.

- It is much more of a confused picture after him until you get to Manziel where it is fair to say the sample size remains very small.

- Zach Mettenberger probably ranks as the "best of the rest" and given that he was a 6th round pick looks very good value even if he doesn't end up as the franchise answer in Tennessee.

- Considering the different perceptions of the two classes it is interesting to see that the next two when you rank across the piece after Bridgewater and Mettenberger are EJ and Glennon and that Glennon, EJ and Mettenberger seem to have a little gap in terms of their production so far on Geno, Carr and Bortles (although clearly EJ and Glennon have had some 2nd year stats included in the overall which might create a slight distortion).

It will be interesting to see how Bridgewater develops and whether he can establish himself as a franchise Quarterback. It will equally be interesting to see what extent any of the others can develop into legitimate starting options.

based on those stats and not having seem any of them play that much except for EJ, I would say Glennon sounds like the best on to me. Ranked very well in all categories compared to the other QBs and blew everyone away where it counts most, scoring. Almost a 2:1 TD/INT ratio. Based solely on these stats, I'd be interested in acquiring Glennon if possible.

Bridgewater was the best prospect coming into the 2014 draft. The general consensus among scouts was he was far and away the most complete and NFL-ready prospect in that class, until his pro day. I'm pretty sure the entire NFL world views the fact that the Browns passed up on him for Manziel is insane.

Hell, I bet he's the only one of those quarterbacks who has a starting gig by the end of 2017.