Computer Help

bernie

Does any one know what tagging is?? A friend

of mine has xp and his girlfriend has been tagged by a

hacker. He thinks now he has been too through hers.

His computer acts funny when he shuts it down or on

starting it up. He says it keeps freezing up on him.

Anyone who could help him?

Does any one know what tagging is?? A friend

of mine has xp and his girlfriend has been tagged by a

hacker. He thinks now he has been too through hers.

His computer acts funny when he shuts it down or on

starting it up. He says it keeps freezing up on him.

Anyone who could help him?

229330[/snapback]

I have no idea what tagging is. However, if you're properly secured, you shouldn't have a problem.

Does your friend have a hardware firewall/NAT router? If not, have him buy one. Frankly, a hardware fireewall will protect you from 95% of the threats. The only other things to worry about are downloading attachments (use anti-virus to protect) or browser exploits (use Mozilla, Firefox, or Opera to avoid). Keeping Windows systems secure (for a home) isn't really as tough as people make it out to be.

Your friend should buy the firewall and then reinstall Windows from scratch. It takes an average of 14 minutes from the time a Windows server is put on the Internet until it is exploited if it's not patched - you can't download and install Service Pack 2 in 14 minutes, so the firewall is a must.

http://www.fezam.com/security

CW

What is t@gging? Online warez crews gain access to public FTP servers, using an OS foreign to Windows in order to create hidden dirs that often begin and end with an underscore or two initial underscores like ".-.-" known as reserved identifiers which are global and for the use of the compiler and very confusing for Explorer. Why create such directories? To hide and proliferate warez.

What is t@gging? Online warez crews gain access to public FTP servers, using an OS foreign to Windows in order to create hidden dirs that often begin and end with an underscore or two initial underscores like ".-.-" known as reserved identifiers which are global and for the use of the compiler and very confusing for Explorer. Why create such directories? To hide and proliferate warez.

229345[/snapback]

Well, THAT certainly solved the problem. :P

Sometimes I think we should broaded the definition of the word bilingual.

229345[/snapback]

Hmm, never heard it called that before.

Guess I'm not a 133t h4x0r :P

CW

IIRC, tagging refers to hackers who exploit wireless networks. They literally tag the outside of a house to let others know they can gain access to the BB network. Kind of what the homeless will do if they find a friendly establishment.

I have never seen acts or results of such things, and even after being told about it, found it mindboggling that anyone would waste any amount of time doing it. But there it is...

IIRC, tagging refers to hackers who exploit wireless networks.  They literally tag the outside of a house to let others know they can gain access to the BB network.  Kind of what the homeless will do if they find a friendly establishment.

I have never seen acts or results of such things, and even after being told about it, found it mindboggling that anyone would waste any amount of time doing it.  But there it is...

229406[/snapback]

I don't believe that; why would you physically mark the place when anyone with a laptop can easily find wireless networks on their own? Call me skeptical.

CW

Hmm, never heard it called that before.

Guess I'm not a 133t h4x0r :blink:

CW

229403[/snapback]

I actually had to google it myself. The technique described above was popular before the creation of alternate data streams. Now hackers can hide all their goodies in there.

I might break out my old Solaris machine w/ war dialer tonight. :P

Neat!  Howcum it only works in IE????????

229475[/snapback]

It works just fine with Mozilla/Firefox, you just get a notification when you first start. Why? Because I made it with Powerpoint, a M$ product.

CW