OT-sending flowers

rolly

And people accuse me of working for DirecTV?  I think you work for the flower industry :(

Not that I necessarily disagree with what you said (although in my case, sending champaign to my wife's work -- a drug and alcohol counselor -- probably not a good idea :( )

CW

227728[/snapback]

No, I work for the Defense Department.

You send it to the house, not to work.

This Valentines would have been our thirteenth wedding anniversary. I'm going to spend it at her grave. I work in DC, She's in Savannah. Sure would like to see her more...but I can also talk to her here. But I'm not going to miss our anniversary.

Anniversaries are definitely a special occassion, though. And if someone is special to you, so is Valentine's Day.

I guess what I was trying to post, is, if you're going to half ass it-don't bother. Sending flowers the cheapest way is sending flowers the cheapest way.

If one cares about somebody, they make an effort to make it special, or just not do it at all.

And, as an aside-I sent flowers as described above. If I couldn't get the day off, I'd bring the Champagne home.

It's what you do for someone you love. A footrub never hurts, either. To me, a lot more important than getting the DVD TV.

But that's me. Maybe I'm old fashioned.

proflowers.com  are awesome!  super fresh and last a long time...  if you have a discount the first time you order, it's good too... click on the microphone on the top right corner of the page and type in "mike and mike" or "madden"  those are radio discounts...

227549[/snapback]

proflowers is the way to go. Current special is 39.99 for 2 dozen roses, including vase. As Mike says, type Mike & Mike for the special, or Rome...The offer is good today on valentine's day orders.

LOL, you ain't kidding!    :huh:

At those prices, I'd better be shittin gold nuggets the next day.    :lol:

227841[/snapback]

I just got a coupon in my inbox for 20% off from dans.com if anyone wants to try it out (or give it as a V-day gift):

D77ZAFA12

CW

No, I work for the Defense Department.

You send it to the house, not to work.

This Valentines would have been our thirteenth wedding anniversary. I'm going to spend it at her grave. I work in DC, She's in Savannah. Sure would like to see her more...but I can also talk to her here. But I'm not going to miss our anniversary.

Anniversaries are definitely a special occassion, though. And if someone is special to you, so is Valentine's Day.

I guess what I was trying to post, is,  if you're going to half ass it-don't bother. Sending flowers the cheapest way is sending flowers the cheapest way.

If one cares about somebody, they make an effort to make it special, or just not do it at all.

And, as an aside-I sent flowers as described above. If I couldn't get the day off, I'd bring the Champagne home.

It's what you do for someone you love. A footrub never hurts, either. To me, a lot more important than getting the DVD TV.

But that's me. Maybe I'm old fashioned.

227763[/snapback]

Keep some rosemary sprigs in the house. Throughout antiquity, it has meant rememberance. I keep a few leaning against photographs of my Mother and Father.

FWIW.

If you are going to go through the exercise, don't get concerned about money. It's not about who's cheapest. You often get what you pay for.

Quality long stem roses, thorns clipped, wire reinforcement at the base, each individually with it's food and water (a little capsule the cut base fits into). Shop, I'm guessing about $60.

And very important-delivered by the florist in a box. They know how to do it. White box, bow of your choosing. I always used yellow, as I always bought her yellow roses. Sometimes yellow and white, or yellow and red...it's OK to mix. The box is important.

If you aren't sure if she has a rose vase, buy a crystal vase from someone reputable at the mall, and have them ship it to her address. Doesn't have to be Waterford, Mikasa is fine-and is probably on sale. Maybe $30-$40.

Coordinate the deliveries the same day, or a day apart, Vase first. Make the effort.

Trust me.

If you can't be there, have a bottle of decent, but not extravagant champagne delivered as well (Piper is not bad, budget wise), unless you want to go higher, and maybe a couple of champagne flutes or bowls from the same place you got the vase.

Whether it's the woman you admire for yourself, your sister, a friend or your mother...

They will always remember this Valentines.

227727[/snapback]

You're right about you get what you pay for. I'm really surprised at these guys talking about where to go to save money! We're not talking about filling up your tank of gas, guys. Were talking about buying flowers for someone.

You can go to the corner gas station and get a dozen roses for $15. Same at the grocery store. But those are CRAP.

The last roses I bought were over a year ago, but they cost $72 for the dozen, and let's just say they were worth every penny.

Buy flowers is not a place to skim or clip coupons.

Man, if only your wives/girlfriends saw you giving advice on where to save money for the flowers you buy them.... jeez...

Buy flowers is not a place to skim or clip coupons.

Man, if only your wives/girlfriends saw you giving advice on where to save money for the flowers you buy them.... jeez...

228617[/snapback]

Actually, I disagree here -- when you order flowers online, they just contact a local florist with the order. It's not like ProFlowers.com or 1800Flowers.com has branch offices in every city. They're just a middleman. Saving money in this way isn't the same as buying them at the corner store.

CW

Actually, I disagree here -- when you order flowers online, they just contact a local florist with the order.  It's not like ProFlowers.com or 1800Flowers.com has branch offices in every city.  They're just a middleman.  Saving money in this way isn't the same as buying them at the corner store.

CW

228732[/snapback]

I know, but people here are saying "well, you might want to try XYZ site, its cheaper than 1-800-flowers"

I USE 1800flowers because they are good. Delivery time good, you can buy a nice vase, and the flowers ARE from local florists, like you said. But why do you think these "discount sites" have cheaper prices? ? ? Because they are buying from a cheaper dealer and so on down the line...

This is almost exactly what I bought for my ex two Valentine's ago..

http://ww1.1800flowers.com/product.asp?sei...ndex=1&channel=

Now, that may seem expensive, but so what? They'll be able to tell..

I'm looking to have some flowers delivered for valentine's day. I want to order them via internet. Anyone suggest any good websites or businesses which will deliver in the buffalo area?? Thanks in advance.

227508[/snapback]

Maybe he prefers quiche !