OT - Johnny Cash albums

tornado681

On the advice from a friend, I recently bought four Johnny cash albums he did with the American label:

1. american recordings

2. Unchained

3. America III: solitary man

4. America IV: when the man comes around

They are great. Anyone else have any cash album reccomendations?

Anyone who recorded as many albums over the years has some spotty releases. Johnny Cash is no exception. That being said, there is a whole lot of good there as well. I know you have all of the Rick Rubin albums, but also buy the American Box Set, "Unearthed". It is a five disc set, all outtakes from the Rubin sessions. The last disc, is a best of the 4 albums you have, but the rest is new. It is a stunning record, my favorite release of 2004! I must say it is a little overpriced ($70-80), but well worth it. To me, a good cd/record, is still the best entertainment value. If it is too out of your price range, look for these:

"The Sun Years" (the earliest stuff, all classics, "Send My Love to Rose" is classic!)

"Live at San Quentin"

"Live at Folsom Prison"

"Live at Madison Square Garden"

"Carryin' On" (an album of duets with June Carter Cash)

I know three of these are live recordings, but they are all excellent, and capture Cash at his prime as a performer (late 60's early 70's)...and have the advantage of being light on the back-up vocalists that intrude on many of his early recordings. This is common in lots of recordings from the 50's and early 60's, sort of a remenant of the crooner era.

Anyway, if you want to get one awesome collection, 3 cd set can be had for about $30, pick up

"The Essential Johnny Cash 1955-1983". It is very comprehensive (75 songs), and has every well known song, and then some...."The Man in Black" is one of the greatest protest songs ever! Good luck...

Gotta second "Live at San Quentin". In these days of lip syncing and choreography it's good to listen to a real live concert. Johnny was the man. You really can't go wrong with any of the releases Buftex mentions.