Some things i know about this team.

billsfan714

1. Orton had a decent stretch, but the sobering reality of this prime time game dud is Kyle Orton is really Kyle Orton. He has a ceiling of 9-7 or so with good talent around him. He's been off by a yard or 2 with a regular consistency. Even more disturbing is knowing he's more accurate the Manuel.

2. We aren't better guard talent and a TE away. I don't care that our first pick next year is in the 2nd round, the top priority to taking this team to a higher level, is a real QB. To the EJ believers, fine give him the final 6 games, I dont care, I dont think you will see a good NFL QB. Sorry that's reality, he was what the scouts thought he was.....a 3rd or 4th round QB with measureables that didnt match the play on the field....

3. Can even the most ardent homers please stop with the Scott Chandler is good, or even mediocre. Im in a 10 team, 2TE fantasy league....one dude had 3 TE's and nobody in 21 roster slots has Chandler . Talk about a total non-factor. The guy can disappear at key times and it as clutch as Leodis, good for 1 anti-play making, cost you a win a season.

4. This offense is unimaginative....it's small ball. There's not a lot of misdirection...the big plays are not anywhere near frequent enough.

5. Go ahead and flame away...but I;m with a poster like BillsVet on Whaley. Stop, pause for a moment and think about Whaley trading a 2015 Buffalo Bills 1st round draft choice to move up in a WR super deep draft. It doesnt seem as such a steal when you compare Watkins to a lot of the other 1st rounder receivers. But here's the part where you think how could I be sucked in by a GM talkiing that our pick would be a late round selection. It would be a playoff round selection when you had Manuel...Thad friggin Lewis and Jeff I lost a ton in college Tuel at QB in a 2014 pass happy NFL.., I dont think so. God how could I even remotely think that was going to happen.

6. This team needs playmakers...

7. Nate Hackett is in over his head. Modern NFL offense,...not even close. The D has given this team great field position and the O has layed an egg. The only person who doesnt realize this is Marrone. The only thing Nate should be planning is if he's getting Dunkin Donuts or Cinnabon for the morning meeting for a real offensive coordinator.

8. Where are the playmakers in the secondary with this rush....where's a new generation of Odoms and Henry Jones.

9. The stat on the Bills season avg starting position and this offensive production is a crime against the D.

Edited by billsfan714

1) yup

2) yup, but we won't get that qb this year so what better options are there going to be than riding with orton?

3) yup chandler sucks. they really have no big body targets in the passing game. think of dez or calvin climbing the ladder to go get the fade. think of gronk rumbling through the entire defense. you'd have hoped mike williams could contribute on this front but really they have NOTHING and this key part of their offense is totally absent. like, seriously, HOGAN is the guy? kind of like when people wanted to believe david nelson could play in this league?

4) yup

5) lol yup

6) yup

7) yup

8) you mean byrd?

9) yup if they had even mediocre play from the offense this team would be a legit playoff contender.

oh well. i guess the hope is the new ownership fires the gm and coach and everyone else and starts from scratch and maybe that turns into something in a few more years.

the usual.

1) yup

2) yup, but we won't get that qb this year so what better options are there going to be than riding with orton?

3) yup chandler sucks. they really have no big body targets in the passing game. think of dez or calvin climbing the ladder to go get the fade. think of gronk rumbling through the entire defense. you'd have hoped mike williams could contribute on this front but really they have NOTHING and this key part of their offense is totally absent. like, seriously, HOGAN is the guy? kind of like when people wanted to believe david nelson could play in this league?

4) yup

5) lol yup

6) yup

7) yup

8) you mean byrd?

9) yup if they had even mediocre play from the offense this team would be a legit playoff contender.

oh well. i guess the hope is the new ownership fires the gm and coach and everyone else and starts from scratch and maybe that turns into something in a few more years.

the usual.

or maybe TPegs lands a big fish and the new regime get things fixed quickly - it CAN BE DONE with the right leadership

In defense of Hackett, the play calling is limited by the situation. In obvious passing downs, the Bills had to throw quick passes because the lousy O line couldn't pass protect, and even then Orton had to throw a lot away. Must have been 5 or 6 plays where he intentionally threw it into the ground.

We'll never know what this year's team could have been with decent O line play. They tried to patch it instead of investing in it, and Marrone's arrogant assumption that he could coach up bottom feeders is what really cost the team this year. Will the defense all be back next year? Can they pay Jerry Hughes what he's worth, plus keep the other three stars on the D line? Brandon Spikes disappeared tonight but he has been playing well on a one year contract. I'd like to see him back along with Brown and Bradham fighting for snaps with Kiko next year, plus there's no guarantee that Kiko will have the same year next year that he did last year. The secondary needs one more play maker. I think Dixon and Brown were brought in since Spiller probably won't be back, and Fred Jackson, all praise and honor to one of my top favorite Bills, but he's getting old and won't be around long. Are Dixon and Brown the answer at RB? I think we're set at WR, really loaded, and just (just?) need two good guards and maybe a RT. The Bills are allergic to athletic TEs so just stop thinking there's an answer there.

Look at it this way. We made it to mid-November before we gave up and started thinking about next year. That's improvement.

Finally, the only way to break the Flutie curse is to bring him back in some capacity, maybe a QB coach. If 15 years hasn't convinced you yet, benching Flutie for Rob Johnson has voodoo'd this team.