NFL REWIND: ALL 22 - WEEK 8: O-Line/ Unforced Error Review

Bocephuz

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did / How Kyle did on every pass play ( I may have missed a snap or two here.. but this should be 95% accurate)

DISCLAIMER ( I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

_______ ______________________

TOTAL PASS PLAYS: 21 snaps ( last week was 46.. thank you defense.. Hackett sticking to run game with lead)

LINE BREAKDOWN - 4 snaps or 19 % of pass plays ( defined as - O-Line clearly messed up and Kyle did not have a moment to throw after hitting the last step of his drop.. last week was 28% so pass protect was much better this week)

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION - 17 snaps or 81 % of pass plays ( defined as O-Line did sufficient job and Kyle hit the last step of his drop and had a moment to throw).

UNFORCED KYLE ERRORS: - 3 snaps or 14% of pass plays where he had time ( unforced error defined as Kyle having time and having unforced accuracy issues/ or taking bad sacks... last week it was 5 snaps or 10%)

Bottom Line:

With only 21 pass snaps this is a somewhat small sample size, however.. O Line Pass protect was much improved this week. The Bills were not beat by any stunts this week from what I saw. One of the unforced errors is Orton holding onto ball too long and taking a sack when he could have stepped forward and scrambled a bit. Another was a poorly thrown screen pass. Third unforced error was a misfire in NYJ red zone on a slant. Orton was much more careful with the ball today.. did not try to do too much and avoided putting himself in position to fumble. Orton missed Sammy deep a few times .. but just barely.. and on both of those misses there was outstanding coverage so I did not count those as unforced errors. Guards did not give up any sacks today.. RBs ( here's where we really miss Freddy) and Tackles were mainly responsible for sacks. I counted the RB missed assignments as O Line breakdowns.

PLAYS OF NOTE

Q1 - Sack in NJY territory; RB and RT did not pick up outside rushers

Q3 - Sack ; Orton holding ball too long

Q3 - Sack; Coverage Sack.. good protection

Q3 - Sack ; RB did not pick up blitz

Side note: Decent Guard Play this week. Urbik did a solid job .. beat twice but did not give up sack. Pears was fairly solid as well. .. did not give up a sack.

I think we're talking about the same one there... the RB who was the first option on the screen was covered.. however... the pass rush wasn't that bad and if he would have kept it for another second he had a second option open over the short middle he could have thrown to instead of throwing it away