Anybody see the Offensive PI call in the Rams game?

The PI call on the Rams TE was super bogus and the call on Woods was bogus too.

What baffles me about poor calls is that it always seems like they are on the underdog, smaller market, etc. team. I have yet to make a stance on if the refs are more willing to make calls on the underdog or if good teams just find ways to win. This would be an interesting study for the NFL to conduct.

yeap, theres a short list of teams that refs seem to favor, and a short list they disfavor -- unfortunately we're in the latter group. The calls on Watkins and Woods that killed our momentum can be called on every play. So could the call on the Rams TE. So why arent they? Why are they saved for critical moments? All penalties are not created equal. football is a game of momentum and adrenaline. And as I posted in a different thread, no I dont think its pure coincidence the division w/ highest concentration of big market teams (NFC East), has the most super bowl appearances and wins

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeap, theres a short list of teams that refs seem to favor, and a short list they disfavor -- unfortunately we're in the latter group. The calls on Watkins and Woods that killed our momentum can be called on every play. So could the call on the Rams TE. So why arent they? Why are they saved for critical moments? All penalties are not created equal. football is a game of momentum and adrenaline. And as I posted in a different thread, no I dont think its pure coincidence the division w/ highest concentration of big market teams (NFC East), has the most super bowl appearances and wins

You can post this in a hundred more threads and you will be wrong hundred more times.

As was pointed out to you, the AFCN and the NFCW (small market conferences) have been to the SB more times than the NFCE in the past 10 years (your metric). Also, the AFCN has won more SBs in that same period than the NFCE. In fact go back just 13 years and you will see that every NFCW team has played in the SB in that period.

Can anyone think of a call in any sport that should be made more than it is, but whenever it is called it's bogus like 90% of the time? Thats been OPI to me for as long as I've watched football. I mean I think intentional grounding should be called more but at least when it is it's usually the right call (even if it inexplicably takes eleven minutes of begging, pleading, and lobbying from DLmen and coaches). I honestly think if they just had a secret meeting to never call OPI ever (so WRs didn't know about it) it'd be better than it is now.

Edited by BuffOrange

You can post this in a hundred more threads and you will be wrong hundred more times.

As was pointed out to you, the AFCN and the NFCW (small market conferences) have been to the SB more times than the NFCE in the past 10 years (your metric). Also, the AFCN has won more SBs in that same period than the NFCE. In fact go back just 13 years and you will see that every NFCW team has played in the SB in that period.

you left out the entire context and all the supporting data and arguments, no surprise given your fanatical pro-ref agenda ... people can read it here and decide

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/172023-so-lets-pretend-the-nfl-referreing-isnt-fixed-fire-blandino-now/page__st__40

Many here moaned and groaned about the Seattle DBs getting away with mugging WRs because they (the Seahawks) knew the refs weren't going to call it on every play.

Then the league said they were going to do away with that thinking by actually calling a lot more PI (both offense and defense) penalties.

Now everyone is moaning and groaning about all the penalties that are being called in repsonse to the way the Seahwks played defense (and the Broncos played offense, actually).

The refs are doing what the league has told them to do--simple as that. This had been reported endlessly during the off-season, we saw it in preseason and are seeing it continue now--yet people here are still baffled as to what is going on. Still guys are claiming it's the refs and a conspiracy at that.

People are crazy.

Let's say people complain the strike zone is too small. So MLB makes it bigger. Batter gets rung up for looking at a pitch over his head. Complaints ensue.

"Zomg make up your mind hypocrites!".

I mean c'mon. NFL refs suck at picking their spots to "call more strikes ". Watkins & Cook took pitches over their heads.

Woods was interfered with on the Houston int way more than Stevie was vs Carolina last year. Somehow they call the one in the year there was no " point of emphasis ". They suck at their jobs. I know it's tough and they're human, but I don't need to hear Mike Carey bragging about their made up 98% accuracy.

That was an awful call.

The over officiating needs to stop. Truly ruining the game

Very true. And it usually falls in favor of the more glamorous team (49ers in this case).

This whole phantom penalty thing is ruining the game. It gets very annoying to have to watch all that crap slow the game down, and there does not seem to be any positive side to it (other than for the good teams that get the calls their way).

except never get crappy calls like this against the cheat riots

Only time I can remember a bad call go against them that effected the outcome of the game was a home loss against cardinals. And it was during the replacement ref period. I remember everyone joking how they were so bad they didnt even realize they were supposed to favor the pats!

you left out the entire context and all the supporting data and arguments, no surprise given your fanatical pro-ref agenda ... people can read it here and decide

http://forums.twobil...ow/page__st__40

No I didn't. You said that the NFCE was over represented in the SB in the past 10 years and that this was evicence of a "big market" bias by the refs. It's simply not true in any context. Looking at the list of SB participants and winners over the last 10 years anyone can see that the NFCE is the third most frequently represented conference behind the AFCN and the NFCW. In fact, your premsie has proven the oppsoite of what you intended--it shows that if there is a bias in the refs, it is for the small market teams.

I have no pro ref agenda. You keep posting the same incorrect info to make your argument--I'm just pointing this out. Trying to help...