Bills O line

thewildrabbit

SB Nation ran a nice article on the current players, and how they think the line played in Chicago.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2014/9/13/6133177/buffalo-bills-offensive-line-scouting-seantrel-henderson

Mostly stating what so many here have already talked about. Better play / players at OG, and TE would allow the team to be much more productive on offense. I still don't get why this team doesn't switch out the TE's for OT's on dedicated run plays. Like 3rd and short at the goal line.... when you run an elephant offense it helps to use the elephants.

Anyway, I was very pleased the line didn't disintegrate on the road like they have done in the past. The Bills still could have a very promising season.

• "I don't think our run blocking was as great as the stat line says. We still have issues consistently generating push and getting yards in bigger chunks than 1-3 yards. Luckily, we have running backs capable of making something out of nothing.
  • Scott Chandler was targeted one time, dropped it, and had a subpar day blocking as well. Is it too early to start the #TE Watch for the 2015 NFL Draft?"

SB Nation ran a nice article on the current players, and how they think the line played in Chicago.

http://www.buffaloru...ntrel-henderson

Mostly stating what so many here have already talked about. Better play / players at OG, and TE would allow the team to be much more productive on offense. I still don't get why this team doesn't switch out the TE's for OT's on dedicated run plays. Like 3rd and short at the goal line.... when you run an elephant offense it helps to use the elephants.

Anyway, I was very pleased the line didn't disintegrate on the road like they have done in the past. The Bills still could have a very promising season.

• "I don't think our run blocking was as great as the stat line says. We still have issues consistently generating push and getting yards in bigger chunks than 1-3 yards. Luckily, we have running backs capable of making something out of nothing.
  • Scott Chandler was targeted one time, dropped it, and had a subpar day blocking as well. Is it too early to start the #TE Watch for the 2015 NFL Draft?"

been unsuccessfully trying to replace Levitre since he left.

This FO doesn't believe in TEs, there where plenty of chances to get a quality TE and they passed (like Jace Amaro, who played like Aaron Hernandez in college)

I wish we had signed incognito a few weeks ago. Clearly better than what we have, and would be hyper motivated for today's game

definitely, but teams are too scared to sign players that have a negative public perception ( cowards, I thought we were pulling out all stops to get to the playoffs?)

been unsuccessfully trying to replace Levitre since he left.

This FO doesn't believe in TEs, there where plenty of chances to get a quality TE and they passed (like Jace Amaro, who played like Aaron Hernandez in college)

definitely, but teams are too scared to sign players that have a negative public perception ( cowards, I thought we were pulling out all stops to get to the playoffs?)

I guess it's a matter of degree because we picked up Spikes and Mike Williams in the off season

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I think that one of the most overlooked contributing factors to the team's success in the run game is the makeup of th OL and the accompanying strategy the offense uses in most games.

This line is built on size. Overall, Buffalo has one of the two biggest starting OLs in the NFL (SF is the other). They use their size in every game by running for quantity in the early portions of the game, which wears down defenses and clears room for big gainers at the end of each half--something we saw in week one.

You notice this particularly at the end of longer drives in the 2nd and 4th quarter, when defenses have been subject to collision after collision against our behemoths up front.

I'm hopeful that Richardson can eventually wrest the starting RG spot, and this OL can be one of the top units in the league.

The pass blocking certainly looks the part from what week 1 showed.

I wish we had signed incognito a few weeks ago. Clearly better than what we have, and would be hyper motivated for today's game

I suppose the Bills are trying to make do with the talent on hand, and possibly hope that the other two rookies will develop enough to become starters at some point this year. Don't forget they gave Williams a big signing bonus.

The prevailing thoughts could be that "If" Henderson should falter at RT then Pears can step in and bolster that position. This really is the first time in years that I can recall the team having some decent qualified depth on that line in both OT Hairston, OG / C in Urbik. Its encouraging to see this team finally paying attention to the line.

The real test for this line is when they face a top defensive team on the road like @ Houston, or Suh @ Detroit, and even @ NY Jets with DT Sheldon Richardson.

Incognito is still available afaik, and should the current OG's fall on their face big time then he could still be signed. But yea, like you, I think he is a much better talent and definitely worth the risk. That is if they want to make the playoffs this year. JMO