Shocked no one said anything about Milloy

There is an article in the Boston Globe with quotes supposedly made by Lawyer Milloy from an interview with a local media outlet, where he called the Patriots a "cheap" organization, and that "...you can't feed your family off of Super Bowl rings." This kind of quote may be a glimpse into what makes the Patriots so good, and why Lawyer Milloy is not one of them anymore.

From the article:

As for Milloy's most notable remark - ``you can't feed your family off of Super Bowl rings'' - we would, again, beg to differ. The rings Kraft provided in 2001 were each worth approximately $14,000, a number that jumped to $20,000 in 2003. Another title will bring another $20,000 piece of jewelry. That's almost $60,000 in bling - more than enough to put food on the table.

The Patriot philosophy is starting to emerge, and it's so simple it's laughable, yet so revolutionary, no one does anything like it. The Patriots are a team of 53 starters. No first-string or second-string. Everyone one on the Patriots plays. Everyone has a role to play in each game. Everyone is expected to perform. Everyone is coached the same way.

Further, every Patriot player believes that making $1mil a year is enough if it means they can have a fistful of rings. The players believe their reward will come later when they are remembered as the greatest team in football. To that end, there is less difference between the highest and lowest-paid players that from any other team in the NFL.

But it seems that to Lawyer Milloy, it was more important that he is personally respected with a big paycheck. And that Lawyer Milloy comes before the team. That does not make Lawyer a bad guy, certainly no different than 99% of the players in the NFL. It's a risky game. Your career could end on every play. Who can blame a guy for making sure he is set for life when he has the chance.

But as we watch in awe and dread at the New England Patriots, and wonder how on earth can the be that good, the answer may be that it takes the sacrifice of 53 players to play as a team in every sense of the word.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/...articleid=65435

PTR

Agreed. Milloy should have just kept his mouth shut. He came off sounding like a complete baffoon. It's one thing if you are criticizing Arizona or Cincinnati for not paying their players... but to criticize a team that has reached 3 of the past 4 Super Bowls... that's gonna make you look like an idiot.

The joke's on you, Lawyer.

There is an article in the Boston Globe with quotes supposedly made by Lawyer Milloy from an interview with a local media outlet, where he called the Patriots a "cheap" organization, and that "...you can't feed your family off of Super Bowl rings."  This kind of quote may be a glimpse into what makes the Patriots so good, and why Lawyer Milloy is not one of them anymore.

From the article:

As for Milloy's most notable remark - ``you can't feed your family off of Super Bowl rings'' - we would, again, beg to differ. The rings Kraft provided in 2001 were each worth approximately $14,000, a number that jumped to $20,000 in 2003. Another title will bring another $20,000 piece of jewelry. That's almost $60,000 in bling - more than enough to put food on the table.

The Patriot philosophy is starting to emerge, and it's so simple it's laughable, yet so revolutionary, no one does anything like it.  The Patriots are a team of 53 starters.  No first-string or second-string.  Everyone one on the Patriots plays.  Everyone has a role to play in each game.  Everyone is expected to perform.  Everyone is coached the same way.

Further, every Patriot player believes that making $1mil a year is enough if it means they can have a fistful of rings.  The players believe their reward will come later when they are remembered as the greatest team in football.  To that end, there is less difference between the highest and lowest-paid players that from any other team in the NFL.

But it seems that to Lawyer Milloy, it was more important that he is personally respected with a big paycheck.  And that Lawyer Milloy comes before the team.  That does not make Lawyer a bad guy, certainly no different than 99% of the players in the NFL.  It's a risky game.  Your career could end on every play.  Who can blame a guy for making sure he is set for life when he has the chance.

But as we watch in awe and dread at the New England Patriots, and wonder how on earth can the be that good, the answer may be that it takes the sacrifice of 53 players to play as a team in every sense of the word.

PTR

221240[/snapback]

Hey, If their players only ask for a mil or so per, let em, good for them, their lucky.

I, on the other hand, KNOW that would never work here.

I also suspect that the players are going to start to expect to get paid. If Brady wins a 3rd SB, do you think he will just sit by and get paid HALF of what Peyton gets paid per year? 5 mil per vs. 10 mil per, look it up. Brady and others will DEMAND more money and their enigma of a system is going to be their unraveling.

The players will demand more money, the Pats cheap skates wont pay it, and the team will drop off to obscurity. Ask the RAMS.

Nothing wrong with a player wanting to get as much money as he can as his career is only so long. The main problem is, no one forces anyone to sign contracts so if a guy like Milloy is unhappy with the way the pats do business, he's certainly free to explore other options.

Sounds like buyer's remorse to me.

Hey, If their players only ask for a mil or so per, let em, good for them, their lucky.

I also suspect that the players are going to start to expect to get paid. If Brady wins a 3rd SB, do you think he will just sit by and get paid HALF of what Peyton gets paid per year? 5 mil per vs. 10 mil per, look it up. Brady and others will DEMAND more money and their enigma of a system is going to be their unraveling.

The players will demand more money, the Pats cheap skates wont pay it, and the team will drop off to obscurity. Ask the RAMS.

221304[/snapback]

Could you please explain how the Patriots are cheapskates since they are right up to the limit on the cap every year?

The Patriots made the decision to go with Rodney Harrison over Milloy. It was the right one.

Could you please explain how the Patriots are cheapskates since they are right up to the limit on the cap every year?

The Patriots made the decision to go with Rodney Harrison over Milloy. It was the right one.

221493[/snapback]

Ummmm......31-0!!!!!

221304[/snapback]

Lol, the Pats have already done more than the Rams. I HIGHLY doubt the Pats are going to drop off in to obscurity. What is this their fourth SB appearance in the last 10 years? How many have we had? ZERO?

Brady knows he's not going to get 10 million dollars per year. And if he DEMANDS it they'll let him walk. Bring in Rohan Davey and watch this O still beat the crap out of people.

The Pats are a dynasty no matter if they win this game or not. That is something no one can take away from them.

Fartacus, if you think one emotionally lopsided win is worth a damn in the face of what the patriots have done, you're one of the biggest idiots ever to form an opinion.

221524[/snapback]

Hey, we gotta hang our hat on SOMETHING with those guys dont we?

Hey, we gotta hang our hat on SOMETHING with those guys dont we?

221530[/snapback]

No. They beat us 31-0 in a meaningless game at the end of the season that pretty much washed that slate clean.

We are 1-5 against the Pats with Brady at the helm. I think it's fair to say they own us.

No. They beat us 31-0 in a meaningless game at the end of the season that pretty much washed that slate clean.

We are 1-5 against the Pats with Brady at the helm. I think it's fair to say they own us.

221537[/snapback]

That is just painful to read.

221537[/snapback]

I pretty much don't count that 31-0 game that we lost because it was obvious that everyone ran for the bus that day, starting with Brown not even making the trip.

So we're 1-4 against the Pats in my book. Still not good though.

CW

There is an article in the Boston Globe with quotes supposedly made by Lawyer Milloy from an interview with a local media outlet, where he called the Patriots a "cheap" organization, and that "...you can't feed your family off of Super Bowl rings."  This kind of quote may be a glimpse into what makes the Patriots so good, and why Lawyer Milloy is not one of them anymore.

From the article:

The Patriot philosophy is starting to emerge, and it's so simple it's laughable, yet so revolutionary, no one does anything like it.  The Patriots are a team of 53 starters.  No first-string or second-string.  Everyone one on the Patriots plays.  Everyone has a role to play in each game.  Everyone is expected to perform.  Everyone is coached the same way.

Further, every Patriot player believes that making $1mil a year is enough if it means they can have a fistful of rings.  The players believe their reward will come later when they are remembered as the greatest team in football.  To that end, there is less difference between the highest and lowest-paid players that from any other team in the NFL.

But it seems that to Lawyer Milloy, it was more important that he is personally respected with a big paycheck.  And that Lawyer Milloy comes before the team.  That does not make Lawyer a bad guy, certainly no different than 99% of the players in the NFL.  It's a risky game.  Your career could end on every play.  Who can blame a guy for making sure he is set for life when he has the chance.

PTR

221240[/snapback]

Couldnt agree more. Yes I hate the Pats but man do they have the team concept and this is why they win.

I'd love to see us trade him and travis for a 1st.

221390[/snapback]

I wish Milloy would keep his trap shut as well, but c'mon its still great to have him as our S, and trading him would only weaken our D.

From what I remember reading Izelle Reese is one of the top S available in FA. I don't think it would be a wise move to trade Milloy.

Maybe Milloy was just trying to get into the the heads of the Patriot players. Seeing if he couldn't get more of them to bolt when their time comes ?