SI Don Banks: Playing EJ in the final game is a no lose scenario

I think I would sit Fred Jackson, Spiller, Watkins & Woods. I would start the rest of the first string offense. I would sit the first string D.

I would play EJ with those starters for 3 series or until they scored a TD, whichever is less. Then I would play Tuel for the rest of the first half with the same remaining starters on offense. 2nd half offense would be all Palmer. I would play the offensive line the whole first half I think unless they came out absolutely smashing Detroit right away at the line of scrimmage. If they did that, then I would sit all my starters earlier.

EJ/Watkins could use the reps.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ/Watkins could use the reps.

Agreed. I am just overly paranoid about possibly getting Watkins injured. Remember how bad it sucked when Gilmore got hurt in preseason? Some guys are too risky with the reward being too little for that little bit of extra playing time. In my opinion Watkins and Woods fit that category.

If the Bills aren't going to run their regular offense, then why bother even playing EJ? I'm not talking about game planning, but running their full gambit of plays. Running the same 5-6 plays over and over again isn't going to do much for him. The whole idea of "not showing their hand" is pretty idiotic. After game one in the regular season everybody will have seen their offense anyway, so why not use the practice game to actually practice running the real offense? If they're not going to do it then just use the game for player evaluations and move on. EJ - nor any starters - need to play in that scenario.

No kidding. There is no player more important to the Bills' season than EJ. Losing him would be more devastating than losing Mario or Watkins. The gap between him and the guys behind him is huge.

I agree with you MDH. I think the whole reasoning of not running a large bulk of your offensive plays in preseason to not show your offense is idiotic. You need to practice all the plays in your play book in game situations. Otherwise how can you expect your players to get better at them and be successful running the plays when the games count. If your offense can run your playbook effectively, and are precise with their assignments, what does it matter if the opposing teams have seen you run your plays in game film? Coaches tweak the plays in their game plans for opposing defenses anyway.

BigPappy

Even if all the starters play on offense, how is it any good if they're playing against 2nd stringers? How is that beneficial at all?

We obviously know they can score touchdowns against 2nd stringers. What we also know is they are YET to score a TD against the 1st string defense of our opponent.

Giving the starting O line several series also isn't a bad idea. How many have they had together? I agree with Banks' assessment...good things (confidence in himself, his O-line, his receivers etc.) could come from it.

I don't think it is just continuity that could help the OL. Glenn likely helps shake off some rust....Pears gets more experience in adjusting to RG....any reps for Henderson are going to be useful.....and whomever we settle on at LG will obviously benefit.

I'd think differently about it if we had more than one of the OL(Wood) practicing at their positions prior to two weeks ago.....but as it stands, it seems to me the OL needs as much game practice as EJ.