The NFL and DirecTV are close to a deal for Sunday Ticket

The NFL and DirecTV are close to a deal for Sunday Ticket

Every few years, cable customers are allowed to feel just a bit melancholy, as the NFL continues to reject their business for the NFL Sunday Ticket product. It appears that will again be the case, as the next negotiations seem to be wrapping up on a long-term deal. The NFL will remain satellite-only.

The league and DirecTV are closing in on a new deal for the satellite provider to continue to be the exclusive home of the network’s out-of-market viewing service. A “broad agreement” has apparently been reached, but numerous details — ancillary programming, NFL Network carriage, Rich Eisen’s new DirecTV talk show — have been bogging down the two sides in terms of getting the deal 100% done. AT&T’s acquisition of DirecTV has also complicated things. The deal will likely be for a total of $1.3 to $1.4 billion.

I am biased as a DTV customer, but I love when cable sales people tell me every year about how DTV's contract is going to run out, and they are going to offer Sunday Ticket soon, etc. Will never happen.

I've been getting a rash of inquiries from cable and other satellite services. I tell them and DTV the same thing. I'll go with the carrier that has Sunday Ticket.

I am biased as a DTV customer, but I love when cable sales people tell me every year about how DTV's contract is going to run out, and they are going to offer Sunday Ticket soon, etc. Will never happen.

Especially with AT&T about to own DTV. Another downside to the deal will be AT&T is unlikely to be as generous as DTV was in handing out discounts for the Ticket.

Original news source.

Especially with AT&T about to own DTV. Another downside to the deal will be AT&T is unlikely to be as generous as DTV was in handing out discounts for the Ticket.

Original news source.

AT&T should let DTV operate independently if they want to maintain the excellent customer service ratings that translate to customer loyalty.

AT&T should let DTV operate independently if they want to maintain the excellent customer service ratings that translate to customer loyalty.

Highly unlikely that happens, especially since they made re-upping Sunday Ticket as a condition for the deal.