California drought...fish or farms? Chum or you & your chums?

Beerball

One of the worst droughts in California, ever. This ski season was miserable - only made it out to Tahoe a single time during the season...the other times, i high-tailed it out to Colorado instead :). So it's now been ~ a year since I've moved out to SF...and I've needed an umbrella once the entire year (I didn't have it, of course).

I couldn't agree more. I have been saying this for years.

"The frivolous and extravagant water releases from our dams last month mock the sacrifices that our citizens make every day to stretch supplies in this crisis. In turn, they undermine the government's credibility and moral authority to call for stringent conservation and hardship by the people."

Environment vs. Economy w/the blend between the two being the recreation industry. With regard to the above statement, enviros would say it isn't frivolous... Environment trumps all. Don't get mad @ I really don't believe that.

Water is a funny thing, when it is high, everybody is spreading it around crazily... When its low, everybody is bickering to get some of the water while calling out others. Where were they during the high times? Probably spending lavishly. Who really likes to conserve? It is all about the individual and what they can get. Who likes to wait, conserve and be part of the pack? That's very painful for most. It is like everything else, some take more for the team than others. The question is, how do you make better water laws that appease both sides of the hi-lo water equation?

Right now, we are having a blast (well not exactly, but it is getting there) with the Middle Great Lakes... Thanks to "global warming" and the "polar vortex" we have had a brutally cold winter. It is almost June and there is still just under 2% ice on The Lakes (Superior)... The colder water through the summer should help slow evaporation (and placement into other areas outside of the watershed). Water is slowly on the rise after being low for many years. Superior is up two feet for the month alone. Still people won't be happy, they complain when it is high, they complain when it is low. Some love the added beach front property when water is low, others hate it because they can't get their boat to the docks or their product to market efficiently. Look @ the debate that's been brewing @ Georgian Bay on Lake Huron the past decade. Yet, when the water returns high, the people will forget. What's to do? Especially when dealing w/multiple countries. Again, how do you make perfect laws to deal with the uncertainty of Mother Nature? Just be thankful California is not Mexico.

And then... Some people are just going to have to suck it up and conserve... Take one for the team... Or move to greener and more plentiful pastures. I don't say this in a mean way either. As much as the above statement holds true, people will have to deal with what they feel is mockery... Still, mockery is the least of their problems in California, get thicker skin. So far it is the best system we have to keep everything in some sort of balance.

I joke about the Asian carp. IMO, the is the least of our worries here. That's a smokescreen, the underlying rub is water diversion and conservation... And everybody wants their sweetheart deal.

and I've needed an umbrella once the entire year (I didn't have it, of course).

Some would say that is a good thing? We are doing great here... I have never seen the water spring back so well in the last decade. I thought The Lake would never come back... We aren't there yet, will have to see how the summer plays out.

Some people's pain are other's gain... Sorry for your misfortune.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois