Should Cohwer power be canned

Rayzer32

It has to be time for the spitting jaw to be canned in Pitt. 13 years without the big one plus 4 AFC championship losses to his credit. What the hell do they see in him in Pitt??? Because they make the playoffs, thats good enough? not if I'm a Pitt fan.

You have a 1st year QB going into his 2nd year. Time to bring in a new coach to tutor him before Cohwer brainwashes him with his playing style. Shee-it, give the job to LeBeau.

He is the new Andy Reid or Marty Schottenheimer.

1992 - HFA.....Stillers lose to Frank Reich and the Bills

1994 - HFA again.....Alfred Pupunu Platter, Stan Humphries and the forgotten upstarts of San Diego win.

1995 - HFA.....err, at least hosted the AFC Championship.......almost lost to the Colts on a last second Jim Harbaugh pass that fell short.

1997 - HFA.......lost to Denver......Broncos win Super Bowl.

2001 - New England defeats the Steelers......Steelers had HFA again.....lost another AFC Championship at home.......that's now 3......

2005 - New England 41......Pittsburgh 27........4 times out of 5 that the Steelers lose the AFC Championship at home........one other time, they were one play away from losing......and in 92....they had HFA and lost in the divisional round......

Unfortunately for Cowher.....he now has a stigma attached to him for conference championship games.

I think it's gotta be really, really, really hard to fire a coach after a 15-1 season. But I think he's getting into Wayne Fontes territory - just good enough until one season he's not.

That's not what Dan Rooney says though - he wants another 20 years. I wouldn't want to hear that about my coach if I lived anywhere besides Boston.

I think it's gotta be really, really, really hard to fire a coach after a 15-1 season.  But I think he's getting into Wayne Fontes territory - just good enough until one season he's not.

That's not what Dan Rooney says though - he wants another 20 years.  I wouldn't want to hear that about my coach if I lived anywhere besides Boston.

216195[/snapback]

Look at how long Chuck Noll stuck around. As many times as the Bills change head coaches over all the years, the Steelers are the exact opposite.

I don't think you get rid of him. His teams have been remarkably consistent in getting there. When you hang around at the top level long enough, eventually you get through the door. I call it the Jim Boeheim theory.

Over the last 14 years, who's level of success would you rather have - the Steelers' or the Bills'?

I'd take the Steelers' consistency as a franchise over ours, anyday.

Nice to see that the "we suck unless we win it all" mentality is still alive and well.

CW

216302[/snapback]

You know if the Bills make the playoffs next year and go 1 -1 in the playoffs, I think that people on this board would be bitching.... :D

I think Bill Cowher did a tremendous job this year. 16-2 is a terrific season - with a rookie QB no less.

216245[/snapback]

I fully agree.

Another thing to consider is that Cowher coached for many years for one of the "poorer" owners in the NFL and still won consistently. TD is to be given credit as well for winning under those conditions. Correct me if I am mistaken, but Rooney was said to be one of the only owners that actually depended on his team making a profit to earn a living, and this was BEFORE the days of Snyder, Jones, Allen, etc.

Do you remember the playoff game (Bills vs. Steelers) where Bruce was sick? During that game, a huge DT sacked Kelly and stood over him, giving him the "six gun" and taunting him. To his credit, Glenn Parker came flying in and leveled this idiot. When the steeler came off the field, Cowher physically accosted him. He was screaming in his face and wouldn't let the player walk away.

Because he looks like a maniac and is SO intense, he rarely gets mentioned as one of the great NFL coaches, but imo he ranks right up there, and colorful antics notwithstanding, he seems to be a total gentleman.

What I DONT like is the way he took MM to school in our last game :D , but there is no reason to believe that MM will not be a very fine head coach some day.

In summary, if I owned a football team, I would be fine with giving Cowher a long term contract.