ProFootballFocus: Bills 2014 Defense Will use Double Slotting:

Pitta

How often did Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs come off the field for Baltimore? Or Urlacher and Briggs in Chicago? If you have to play people that are either weak vs the run or the pass then versatile offenses will be able to exploit it. Also, if you're going to play a 4-3 defense then the MLB is the key position and apparently Alonso is moving to OLB so to have a role player as your MLB doesn't sound too promising.

ravens ran a 3-4, bills will run a base 4-3 - obviously a 3-4 equates to more available LB snaps

briggs was a 3rd round pick - if you end up with two talented LB's of course you scheme as best you can to maximize their snaps but my point was you don't invest a heavy asset (either dollars or top picks) in a 2nd LB because the return isn't there vs. the alternatives you can invest that asset in. you spend that 3rd rounder and hope you hit on it, while using your 1st to take a player who will see the field a ton.

kiko will slide to the middle on 3rd and long as spikes/rivers come off the field. spikes is exactly what they need at MLB and is a great fit - both in terms of price and what he brings to the table.

the bears and ravens are misnomers

I think you mean anomalies maybe? I guess that they could be misnomers too because there aren't really bears and ravens on the team.

Our defense will run a lot of nickel and dime but that's not because we do not have talent to run other coverages. Graham in the slot and Robey playing nickel packages takes someone off the field and if I am Swchartz I might look at taking a DL off the field as my only option. And that's not good.

I always say that you try to put your best players on the field regardless of position (within reason) and devise a scheme to make it work. Pettine got a lot of improvement from the same players that everyone before floundered with. We'll see what Schwartz does with them.

Edited by vincec

I think you mean anomalies maybe? I guess that they could be misnomers too because there aren't really bears and ravens on the team.

ou

I always say that you try to put your best players on the field regardless of position (within reason) and devise a scheme to make it work. Pettine got a lot of improvement from the same players that everyone before floundered with. We'll see what Schwartz does with them.

I don't expect you to remember much of what I say, being I'm no different then anyone else around here, but I have been saying that since Wannstadt was here. I didn't mind George Edwards, I knew he was in over his head.