Change in running philosophy that makes CJ expendable?

Spiller got hurt in that Browns game after an electric 30+ yard screen play in the first half. It was his shoulder, and at first I thought he was going to be out for a long time given how much pain he seemed to be in. He was not 100 percent for either of the next two games, and IIRC the next week was a game-time decision. Also, that Niners game got out of hand very, very early.

My point being that usually a RB needs 20+ carries to get into any kind of rhythm, and Spiller was lucky to see 15 most games. when he did see 15 or more carries he usually made the defense suffer for it. He killed the Jet so bad in that first game that they were keying on him in the second game, and did pretty well in holding him down in the run game. Although he hurt them in the passing game.

Chan Gailey even acknowledged that he should be giving both backs 20 touches per game, and yet he could NOT stop calling for passing plays. Opposing teams knew the Bills limitations with that short, quick passing scheme, and that the Bills only had one decent WR, one decent TE, and so the opposing defense could easily double those players. Plus jamming the receivers at the line caused Fitz to delay his throws, and thus the lack of quality talent on that line showed itself game after game.

Current Bills OC is a brand new kettle of fish with his own set of complex problems to overcome. If those guards / tackles continue suck at run blocking then I suppose the Bills will need to keep running up the middle behind Wood, and Spiller just won't be as effective as he could be.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Care to wager on their stats this year? You are so vocal about Fjax over CJ so put your money where your mouth is. I got $1000 on CJ, what you got? I will escrow the bet before the season with any number of long time posters.

Put up or shut up.

Yards or TD's?

You know, the difference between winning real games and fantasy games?

Edited by FireChan

Yup, those yards don't matter at all. The ball just appears at the 1 yard line for Freddie to punch in.

Some would say they don't care if you get the ball 99 yards down the field if you can't get it 1 inch across the goal line. After all, what's the difference between a 20 yard field goal and a 39 one?

Still, the question stands, would you like to bet on TD's? Put up or shut up.

Edited by FireChan

Some would say I don't care if you get the ball 99 yards down the field if you can't get it 1 inch across the goal line.

Still, the question stands, would you like to bet on TD's?

Not just TDs since that is only one facet of a running back but we could try to come up with a system that weighs everything equally.

Not just TDs since that is only one facet of a running back but we could try to come up with a system that weighs everything equally.

Even if we came up with some sort of system, I would still cry foul if I lost and never pay.

How about a friendly wager? I bet Freddy rushes at most for 150 yards less than Spiller, but doubles him in TD's.

Edited by FireChan

Even if we came up with some sort of system, I would still cry foul if I lost and never pay.

How about a friendly wager? I bet Freddy rushes at most for 150 yards less than Spiller, but doubles him in TD's.

So Fred will have twice as many TDs and be within 150 yards rushing of Spiller?

How about loser donates $20 to the winners charity of choice?