Interesting - Turnabout's Fair Play I Guess

blzrul

Deb, who would care?

And by the way, are you saying that the right does more to limit free speech than the left? If so, I suggest you visit a college campus.

212287[/snapback]

If I was saying that, I woul d have said it outright.

Obviously people will care. People care about a lot of things. YOU may not care. I personally would skim right by a Bible ad and not notice it ... but I do care about repression no matter who does it. My point is that the right recently has made a practice of curbing free speech when it doesn't jibe with their idealogy or platform; and anyone who complains is told to stow it. Now that the shoe is on the other foot I wonder if it will be different.

I don't lose sleep over it, but I do think it's funny in an ironic way that they are being served with their own sauce.

If I was saying that, I woul d have said it outright.

Obviously people will care.  People care about a lot of things.  YOU may not care.  I personally would skim right by a Bible ad and not notice it ... but I do care about repression no matter who does it.  My point is that the right recently has made a practice of curbing free speech when it doesn't jibe with their idealogy or platform; and anyone who complains is told to stow it.  Now that the shoe is on the other foot I wonder if it will be different.

I don't lose sleep over it, but I do think it's funny in an ironic way that they are being served with their own sauce.

212474[/snapback]

Tough to say why, but I like it when you get snippy. :devil:

They do when it comes to radio and television.

212511[/snapback]

You know, you are probably correct, but Tipper Gore was a huge proponent of "warning labels," etc. and they ALL threw Howard Stern under the bus after the Janet Jackson Bowl.

I was listening to Stern the next day and he fully predicted that they would come after HIM because of that episode.

You know, you are probably correct, but Tipper Gore was a huge proponent of "warning labels," etc. and they ALL threw Howard Stern under the bus after the Janet Jackson Bowl.

I was listening to Stern the next day and he fully predicted that they would come after HIM because of that episode.

212645[/snapback]

Well the thing about Tipper is that she wasn't trying to get stuff removed from the shelf, merely labeled as containing language that parents may not feel appropriate for their children. It was up to the parents from that point on.

They did a piece on this on NPR about two weeks ago. I remember thinking at the time (20 years ago) what an evil puritanical witch she was, but when I heard this piece, especially as a parent, I understand. I remember taking my younger kids to see "Tornado" and was expecting a cuss or two but when my son, who actually memorized the script, yelled "F---!" when that part came, I realized I probably wouldn't have taken them had I known. "Damn" or "hell" aren't great but at least they are better than F---