Can anyone recommend...

I need a good book to read about Los Angeles. Preferably one that covers history, geography and tells some interesting stories.

And, yes, I've used Google and Amazon, but haven't really come up with anything good. Any of you LA people out there have any ideas?

I need a good book to read about Los Angeles. Preferably one that covers history, geography and tells some interesting stories.

And, yes, I've used Google and Amazon, but haven't really come up with anything good. Any of you LA people out there have any ideas?

211173[/snapback]

This isn't what you're looking for, but are essential supplemental reading, and they're the late great John Fante LA novels. "Ask the Dust" is awesome, a classic, and likely the definitive LA novel, even though it is set in the depression. "Wait Until Spring, Bandini", "The Road to Los Angeles", "Dreams from Bunker Hill" are all truly excellent. They are usually set in 30s and 40s LA but are just damn good and you'll get hooked on them.

What can you tell me about Tujunga?

211484[/snapback]

All I know is Tujunga Canyon in North Hollywood which is mostly a dumpy district although like most of LA there are pockets of cool areas. It's like the northern tip of LA in "the Valley" before it becomes Sunland. Tujunga Canyon road is a long street which leads into Universal City and Studios I think. Why? Let me know if I can help with something specific.

All I know is Tujunga Canyon in North Hollywood which is mostly a dumpy district although like most of LA there are pockets of cool areas. It's like the northern tip of LA in "the Valley" before it becomes Sunland. Tujunga Canyon road is a long street which leads into Universal City and Studios I think. Why? Let me know if I can help with something specific.

211637[/snapback]

Just doing some research. So is Sunland in the same kind of way, that is...dumpy?