Bill Mazer dead at 92

mart

RIP I listened (on the radio!)to Bill Mazer doing the Bisons games in the 50's. The game play would come in over the ticker tape (I am not making this up) and he would do the game like it was live from here in Buffalo. International League was in Havana in those days I recall, and the tape from there was particularily criptic........he used to share that his spotter doing the game in Havana used to send him a one word description of what was going on.....hit, out, error.....Mazor had to make it all up beyond that. But, he had great talk between the "action", and I was just a kid who loved listening about Luke Easter, Poncho Herrerra, Bobby Wine, Jim Gentile, Bobby Del Greco..and all the great names that played in that era.

A great post! But don't forget guys like Ted Savage & Jerry Rimer for the Bisons. I remember listening to the Bison games over the radio & when a foul ball would come up over the back stop at Offerman, you could hear it banging around up near the press boxes over the airwaves. Yeh, the "International League" because the had a team in Toronto, as well as in Havana, the "Sugar Kings".

A great post! But don't forget guys like Ted Savage & Jerry Rimer for the Bisons. I remember listening to the Bison games over the radio & when a foul ball would come up over the back stop at Offerman, you could hear it banging around up near the press boxes over the airwaves. Yeh, the "International League" because the had a team in Toronto, as well as in Havana, the "Sugar Kings".

Don't forget the Montreal Royals.

RIP I listened (on the radio!)to Bill Mazer doing the Bisons games in the 50's. The game play would come in over the ticker tape (I am not making this up) and he would do the game like it was live from here in Buffalo. International League was in Havana in those days I recall, and the tape from there was particularily criptic........he used to share that his spotter doing the game in Havana used to send him a one word description of what was going on.....hit, out, error.....Mazor had to make it all up beyond that. But, he had great talk between the "action", and I was just a kid who loved listening about Luke Easter, Poncho Herrerra, Bobby Wine, Jim Gentile, Bobby Del Greco..and all the great names that played in that era.

RIP

You missed one of the key points in those broadcasts. When someone got a hit, I believe he banged to pieces of wood together to make the sound of the ball hitting the bat. The aural image of those games is as clear to me now as they were back then. He had a great voice for broadcasting.

One of my greatest childhood memories was to be invited by Cy Kritzer, the legendary Buffalo sportswriter to sit with him in the pressbox and watch the old Buffalo Bisons play. I went with some friends who were friends of him. In the next booth was Bill Mazur calling the game. About all I remember about the game was the Bisons won, Bobby Del Greco was in center field and Max Surkont came on in relief. I was about nine at the time and that along with my dad taking me to a bills game in their first season were the highlights of my childhood. I still remember wishing the game would never end.