By the Numbers: Bills/Ravens

Back home now, but it was good to be back in WNY and seeing family and friends (and of course the Bills beating the Ravens [minus the sewage]). It was a great pleasure to meet EJ, John Murphy, and Doug Whaley along with the other good folks at OBD. I appreciate them taking a moment to shake hands and say hello, and for that I say thank you.

I made this a separate topic, but mods feel free to merge with other post game topics.

First the numbers:

1) Total First Downs: BUF - 19; BAL - 15

2) Third Down Efficiency: BUF - 5/18 = 27%; BAL - 3/16 = 18%

3) Rushing Yards: BUF - 203; BAL - 24

4) Passing Yards: BUF - 147; BAL - 321

5) Interceptions Made: BUF - 5; BAL - 2

6) Fumbles: BUF - 4, lost 1; BAL - 0

7) Penalties: BUF - 11 for 99 yards; BAL - 8 for 59 yards

8) Red Zone Efficiency: BUF - 1/4 = 25%; BAL - 1/4 = 25%

9) Time of Possession: BUF - 36:26; BAL - 23:34

My thoughts:

1) It's nice to see the time of possession go in our favor

2) Kudos to the depleted secondary for hanging in there and getting 3 of the 5 interceptions. Aaron Williams, I hated you at corner the last few years, but it looked Sunday like the light bulb came on for you. I'll forgive you getting burned on one play, I didn't see the safety over the top to help you anyway. Great effort and great game!

3) Kudos to Kiko Alonso who should be well ahead for DROY honors. The kid is a ballhawk and always in position to make a play. He'll be a star for this team.

4) Penalties are a constant theme for this team, and they need to do something about it. Glenn had a terrible unnecessary roughness penalty that killed a drive. Glenn had a holding call later. Wood had a holding penalty on a 4th and 1 that we had converted then had to punt.

5) We were very lucky that we didn't have more turnovers. EJ and FJ each had 2 fumbles, one of which was lost (Glenn would have been better off to kick it out of bounds).

6) Hackett needs to do a better job of calling plays in the red zone (I'd also say play calling in general but I'm sure to get jumped on after a win). 3 points in the second half of games isn't going to cut it (more about the Woods catch below). We still need to improve on 3rd downs.

7) Opposite side, defense played a hell of a game limiting them to one TD in the red zone. The first 3rd down conversion seemed ridiculous (3rd and 14?), but I think they went 0 for 7 after that in the half. Great job!

8) Officials, it looked to me like Woods had the ball tucked in the crook of his left arm to me, moved it (with control) to his right hand). I didn't get a good view of the Chandler catch on 3rd (and 24?), but it was a hell of a catch.

9) Awards:

Tip of the Hat: Kiko Alonso, Aaron Williams, Jim Leonhard, Marcell Dareus, FredEx, and Robert Woods

Wag of the Finger: EJ (hold on to that ball son), Glenn (use your head), Eric Wood, Lee Smith (need new cleats?), and Stevie Johnson (didn't seem interested in the game at all)

Final Thoughts:

Game ball goes to the defense. The offense had I believe two drives over 50 yards. One resulted in a TD, while the other was a FG. Too many short fields resulted in FGs without even a single shot toward the end zone. The play calling in the second half screamed that they were playing not to lose. That's usually what happens to teams that play that way, but we squeaked one out. Coaching scared doesn't win many games. EJ's poise has been talked about a lot, but was absent from this game. He looked skiddish to me. Hopefully he bounces back (c'mon we won!) and puts up a good game on Thursday.

GO Bills!

Agree with a lot of this. Nice assessment.

As far as EJ goes. He wasn't as good as he was against the Pats or Panthers at times but wasn't nearly as bad as he was against the Jets.

He does need to take care of the ball a little better. At the end of the day he had a nice TD, would be TD if he didnt rush the pass to Stevie that went out of bounds, and might have had another TD deep when he threw his pick. He definitely gets happy feet and trigger happy when a rush is in his face but he's getting better IMO. He doesn't make the throw at all to Stevie in the end zone (overthrow), 2-3 weeks ago. He most likely makes a small move and takes the ball out of bounds for a short gain or loss. He knew enough to throw to a wide open Stevie. When he learns to throw with pressure in his face that's a TD.

He's learning and growing. We've got a good one here regardless what some haters here think. This was still game 4. He's learning new things every week.