Early draft/offseason predictions

nodnarb

Mixed emotions about this first one, but I think it would probably be best for both parties. Moulds played like a guy on the cusp of burnout. Drops, lost a deep ball step, frustrated comments.

The Bills and Moulds agree to a restructure/trade deal to the Eagles for their 1st and 4th pick. It's a mutual deal because Moulds decides he wants to experience playing for another team and just wants a fresh start, while Terrel Owens, who has gone on record saying he think Moulds is one of the most underrated WRs in the game, convinces the Eagles to bring him in. The Eagles needed little convincing after seeing what happens to their passing game when left to Pinkston and Mitchell. The Bills also believe Aiken will finally emerge, and that Josh Reed will get his head out of his ass.

This gives the Bills the 30th pick in the draft (prediction) and an extra 4th. It also cleans out a lot of cap space. The Bills give Jonas a deal that looks a lot like Matt Light's deal, and Jonas takes it. Then we extend Pat Williams to a fair contract that allows us to focus our draft on more need areas.

The Bills also trade Travis Henry to Oakland for their 3rd round pick and the rights to Ronald Curry, a big, emerging WR with speed and hands. The Bills give Curry an affordable 5 year deal. The Bills feel this gives them a better situation even than a 2nd rounder from the Cards.

The Bills now have a first, their own second, two thirds, and two fourths. They can play the draft like a fiddle.

Draft day. The Bills try like hell to trade up in the first round to take WR Mike Williams, but the Ravens will not be denied. At pick 30, the Bills really want TE Heath Miller but they're pretty certain that the Jets will take him there. So they trade their #30 and their second 3rd round pick to the Broncos for their #25 pick and their 6th round pick. The Bills get Heath Miller, unanimously described as a faster Todd Heap, which is precisely what the Bills need, 'specialy after the dual ACL tears by Euhus and Campbell. OUT: Trafford

The Bills now have one third, two fourths, and two 6th round picks.

In round 2, the Bills trade their higher 4th round pick and lower 6th round pick to move up to take guard Elton Brown. They're getting the guys they want. OUT: Pucillo

Now they're back to one pick in each of rounds 3-7.

With their 3rd round pick, acquired from Oakland, the Bills can't believe Michael Munoz is still on the board. Might take a year to develop, but a great prospect who will provide great depth and could eventually take over the left side of the line, allowing us to move Jennings to C in 2006.

Leaving the first 3 rounds looking like this:

1. Heath Miller, TE

2. Elton Brown, Guard

3. Michael Munoz, OT

Gone: Moulds (sniff), Henry

Regarding QB: I don't want to think of another season with Drew at QB. I don't believe it's possible because Mularkey's offense really needs a QB with legs. Somewhere late in the draft, like 6th or 7th round, I think the Bills will draft QB Matt Jones. Why? Because he's a poor man's JP Losman and his mobility and accuracy on the run make him a fit for mularkey's offense. We'll see what happens with Drew/Matthews. I wouldn't mind having Shane around for veteran experience and savvy.

Anyway, I declare that's the only 10 minutes of my life I waste on draft projections until April. Someone please hold me to it.

Good ideas, but I don't see Moulds being traded, especially not for that (remember, the Eagles didn't even give up a 2nd rounder for Owens). I like the idea of trading up agressively for a stud TE, but I'd also be perfectly happy if we ended up with a second #2 for Henry, get Nugent and a stud Guard in Round 2, and sign Itula Mili.

A very well thought out post.

My only comment would be that this year's draft is very, very weak. I am not in a huge hurry to make a lot of moves just for more draft picks. That being the case, trading Moulds wouldn't make much sense. Now, if this were LAST year's class, then it would. But not with this weak class.

I agree that Miller and Munoz would be GREAT pickups.