Hacketts scheme is a major issue!

I find it interesting that I keep seeing the sentiment, "if we had last years offense with this year's D we'd win 10 games."

Last years Bills team averaged 21.5ppg

This years Bills team averages 21.7ppg

Last years Bills offense averaged 342 yards per game

This years Bills offense averages 350 yards per game

Last years Bills team averaged 2.125 turnovers per game

This years Bills team averages 1.33 turnovers per game

Yeah, stats don't tell the entire story and I agree that this offense is maddening right now but I think people are romanticizing the past and just how effective last years offense was.

I think we had 2-3 blowout games that dragged the stats down. We had 7 games that we scored 28 or higher. And we were scoring touchdowns, instead of whittling em down with 10 FG's.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Red Zone offense is very conservative. Other than corner fade routes, it seems they are afraid to throw into the end zone. That thinking will result in FGs. EJ has to get into a rhythm and 5 yards or less routes will not do much for him when the defense is sitting on them. Game 4 will be a good indicator as to where Hackett's mind is at and how much he trusts EJ with the passing game.

I find it interesting that I keep seeing the sentiment, "if we had last years offense with this year's D we'd win 10 games."

Last years Bills team averaged 21.5ppg

This years Bills team averages 21.7ppg

Last years Bills offense averaged 342 yards per game

This years Bills offense averages 350 yards per game

Last years Bills team averaged 2.125 turnovers per game

This years Bills team averages 1.33 turnovers per game

Yeah, stats don't tell the entire story and I agree that this offense is maddening right now but I think people are romanticizing the past and just how effective last years offense was.

The problem with the stat's you're using is that this year's team uses a no-huddle offense; thereby significantly increasing the number of plays per game. That makes this year's offense look better than it should; and this year's defense look worse than it should.

The correct stats to be using are yards per play stats and/or points per drive stats. Unlike x--per-game stats, per-play or per-drive stats are immune to the inflation effect caused by the no-huddle.

The whole idea of a no-huddle offense at this time is completely idiotic. Our defense is depleted by injury. We need to slow things down and only go to the quick pace offense as a change-up. Even if our defense were healthy I'd recommend the same thing.

I'd like to see the Bills start out on offense with both Freddie and CJ on the field at the same time. Huddle up for a few plays. I'd also like to see Gragg in there with them and Stevie and Woods at receiver.

Run a few plays in an I formation and then change up to the no huddle once the opposition has their base defense on the field. Spread the field out by sending Gragg and CJ out wide. No more of this bunch formation crap either. Create some running room by spreading the field out.

This way you can get Spiller matched up with a linebacker, a battle he should win rather easily. Gragg has the speed and athleticism to split out wide and be effective in this role, too.

The whole idea of the no-huddle is to create mismatches, but if that's all you do then the defense will be ready for it from the start. Change it up, Hackett!