Grade The Bills Week 2 (VS. Panthers)

billsfan89

I always like to give my assessment of the team with week by week grades. Grading the Offense (Pass and Rush attack), the defense (Pass and Rush D), and Special Teams. Feel free to drop in your grades here.

OFFENSE

OVERALL B- (434 total yards 2 turnovers)

Rush attack C+, CJ had a huge 38 yard run get called back in the first half, but his first half performance left a lot to be desired. He did rip a huge run in that final drive. Freddie got the ball into the end-zone and converted a couple of third and shorts but nothing dynamic. Team averaged 4.5 rush yards but it sputtered a lot in the first half which led to a slow offensive start

Pass attack B-. Stevie came to play and Woods helped out big time, they also got some contributions from the backfield. But EJ did cause two turnovers which could have cost them. Chandler needs to get involved more and so does TJ. But the team got the big plays when it mattered most.

Defense

Overall A- (308 total yards given up 1 turnover forced 6 sacks)

Rush Defense A-

Got gashed a little at the end but despite that they held serve under 4 yards a carry.

Pass defense A-

The Pass rush was great, 6 sacks and the pressure was consistent, Mario led the way but it wasn't just him having a monster game. Justin Rodgers got burnt big once and it could have been more. Greg Olsen also had a nice day but Steve Smith and the other receivers (Outside of Ginn's big play) were for the most part held in check. Rodgers could be an issue but hopefully Gilmore comes back and solves it.

Special Teams

Overall B- (No turnovers, forced turnovers, or TD's)

Carpenter hit the 55 yarder but missed one early, the punting was decent, and they let up some returns to Ginn including the 36 yarder. But they didn't have any glaring mistakes nor dynamic plays kind of a decent game out of the ST unit.

I like the grades. It would be nice to see them play without making the killing mistakes. Other than the mistakes I thought the team looked good.

I dont want to grade the coaches but thought they were off yesterday. I would give them low grades because of the following.

For the last drive of the first half, it looked like a soft zone and no blitzing. Since the pressure was so effective why stop?

Toward the end of the game Carolina was paper thin in the defensive secondary, and thy didnt challenge them. Why not?

I am by no means an expert and only watched the game once, am I too hard on the coaches?