AFC Window Opening

Mark80

I believe that it would be very difficult to legitimately argue that the NFC is not clearly the better conference at this point. The Pack, 49ers, Seahawks, Bears, Vikings, Giants, Redskins, Cowboys all seem to be very strong teams each of which could make a nice run. However, to me the Contenders in AFC paint a much different picture:

Dolphins - I'm not sold at all on Tanny and believe that they severely overpaid for their FA purchases this off season. While a strong defense will keep them in a playoff spot hunt, they are by no means a powerhouse.

Pats - Yes, they still have Tommy Boy, but the hits that they took at the WR/TE spots are certainly going to have some impact. Not nearly as intimidating as they were the last 5+ years to me.

Baltimore - Is it even possible to lose more impact players from your team in one off season? Flacco and Rice are going to have to carry a depleted defense which lost not only significant talent, but invaluable leadership in Ray Ray and Ed Reed. A tough hill to climb for sure.

Cincy - I'm sorry, but Dalton just doesn't have what it takes to be a great QB. Can't see him amounting to anything more than a Wild Card type QB.

Pittsburgh - It seems that the wear and tear for Big Ben's style of play is catching up to him in recent years. Injury issues, decreased production, and lost targets should hurt them. Also, their defense has simply looked old as of late.

Indy - A rare team on the rise in the AFC. Luck is legit and will be an issue to deal with for years to come.

Texans - Matt Schaub simply is not getting it done. All you have to do is look at all of the talent on this team on both sides of the ball, yet they still don't make a run in the playoffs. No Super Bowl this year and I'm willing to bet they are seeking a QB in the offseason.

Denver - The pre-season favorite is already dealing with the possible loss of Miller for a few games, starting Center out for the season, and a nagging high ankle sprain on one of their better CBs. Not a good start to the season, but still the clear AFC favorite in my mind. However, they are one big hit to Peyton away from being pretty much irrelevant.

Kansas City - I look at it this way, if Alex Smith and Andy Reid were such valuable commodities, then they would still be in SF and PHI respectively. I'm not buying what they are selling.

Seems to me the window for the Bills is opening more and more in the AFC with every passing day. It may not be this year, but the future is looking bright. In fact, the Earth may completely shift on its axis as I feel like the Browns have one of the bigger upsides in the AFC as well. Starting to feel like the mid-late 80s.

I believe that it would be very difficult to legitimately argue that the NFC is not clearly the better conference at this point. The Pack, 49ers, Seahawks, Bears, Vikings, Giants, Redskins, Cowboys all seem to be very strong teams each of which could make a nice run. However, to me the Contenders in AFC paint a much different picture:

Dolphins - I'm not sold at all on Tanny and believe that they severely overpaid for their FA purchases this off season. While a strong defense will keep them in a playoff spot hunt, they are by no means a powerhouse.

Pats - Yes, they still have Tommy Boy, but the hits that they took at the WR/TE spots are certainly going to have some impact. Not nearly as intimidating as they were the last 5+ years to me.

Baltimore - Is it even possible to lose more impact players from your team in one off season? Flacco and Rice are going to have to carry a depleted defense which lost not only significant talent, but invaluable leadership in Ray Ray and Ed Reed. A tough hill to climb for sure.

Cincy - I'm sorry, but Dalton just doesn't have what it takes to be a great QB. Can't see him amounting to anything more than a Wild Card type QB.

Pittsburgh - It seems that the wear and tear for Big Ben's style of play is catching up to him in recent years. Injury issues, decreased production, and lost targets should hurt them. Also, their defense has simply looked old as of late.

Indy - A rare team on the rise in the AFC. Luck is legit and will be an issue to deal with for years to come.

Texans - Matt Schaub simply is not getting it done. All you have to do is look at all of the talent on this team on both sides of the ball, yet they still don't make a run in the playoffs. No Super Bowl this year and I'm willing to bet they are seeking a QB in the offseason.

Denver - The pre-season favorite is already dealing with the possible loss of Miller for a few games, starting Center out for the season, and a nagging high ankle sprain on one of their better CBs. Not a good start to the season, but still the clear AFC favorite in my mind. However, they are one big hit to Peyton away from being pretty much irrelevant.

Kansas City - I look at it this way, if Alex Smith and Andy Reid were such valuable commodities, then they would still be in SF and PHI respectively. I'm not buying what they are selling.

Seems to me the window for the Bills is opening more and more in the AFC with every passing day. It may not be this year, but the future is looking bright. In fact, the Earth may completely shift on its axis as I feel like the Browns have one of the bigger upsides in the AFC as well. Starting to feel like the mid-late 80s.

I totally agree with you. I see that last wildcard spot as being totally wide open and if we can just catch a few breaks and play a more disciplined style of defense then I feel like we could be that last wildcard team.

Sure, the AFC is weaker... but do you really think we're going to finish with a better record than any of the above? I could see us beating out KC and that's about it as of right now. My opinion may change once I see us actually play some games, but until then, I assume we're in for more of the same.