Glad we didn't take this guy

Well Geno was tackled by the invisible turf monster in the Jets' preseason opener and sprained his ankle in the process. On this play where he hurt himself, he stumbled and looked to be a bit plumper than I remember him looking last year in Morgantown.

And now everyone associated with the Mountaineer football program is talking about a lack of leadership during the 2012 season:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/11/geno-smiths-former-teammates-coach-lament-lack-of-leadership-in-2012/

The guy really is a marvelous talent but coming into camp out of shape (especially after all the rumors of his diva-esque behavior during team visits) and now this?

That character assassination piece by ProFootballWeekly wasn't so far off the mark after all I guess.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/11/geno-smiths-former-teammates-coach-lament-lack-of-leadership-in-2012/

The guy really is a marvelous talent but coming into camp out of shape (especially after all the rumors of his diva-esque behavior during team visits) and now this?

That character assassination piece by ProFootballWeekly wasn't so far off the mark after all I guess.

We will see - definitely not a good omen for smith to hear things like that so public. A question that begs to be asked is where were the coaches in this leadership void. Obviously the qb is HUGE and it sounds like weight wasnt being pulled... But the big question (and one that's been lingering for months) is what the hell was going on behind closed doors there? Did the big 3 totally sell the team down the river? Was the coach also an issue? That team melted down to the tune of giving up 50+ ppg over a 2 month stretch and all we have are vague comments about leadership? Insinuations that losing 3 guys to the nfl makes them better?

Sounds like a lot of dysfunction last year, sounds like a good chance there will be more to come this year. I always feel like either you take it head on and call a spade a spade, or better yet leave it in the past. Making vague comments publicly feels like excuses and a lack of accountability....

Agreed pfw gets a nod as it sounds the sources were likely real.

Edited by NoSaint