"The recent increase in violence has claimed the lives of more tha

"The recent increase in violence has claimed the lives of more than 550 people this month" - PBS News on Iraq moments ago

I would be interested to know credible estimates for the same time period in Syria. Not saying Iraq is as bad as Syria, as we know they're at about 100,000 dead now total...but I would be interested to know how it compares to Iraq just over the last month.

"The recent increase in violence has claimed the lives of more than 550 people this month" - PBS News on Iraq moments ago

I would be interested to know credible estimates for the same time period in Syria. Not saying Iraq is as bad as Syria, as we know they're at about 100,000 dead now total...but I would be interested to know how it compares to Iraq just over the last month.

UN estimates about 5000 a month. On-site human rights watchdogs are saying about 2000-3000 so far for July.

UN estimates about 5000 a month. On-site human rights watchdogs are saying about 2000-3000 so far for July.

Damn. That is a lot of people. More than I would have guessed but I suppose it makes sense.

Damn. That is a lot of people. More than I would have guessed but I suppose it makes sense.

Somewhere around 2 extra deaths per thousand population per annum. Which is about 60% more than normal.

Just by way of comparison, Poland, which suffered by FAR the worst losses of World War II, had about 37 killed per thousand per year. The Rwandan Genocide, which is probably the worst demographic disaster of the past century (sorry, Armenians), would have worked out to about 200 deaths per thousand per year.