Lem Barney, HOFer, says football will be done in 10-20 years

bbb

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to take what an elder says about future of something since the elderly are the least to see change in the future.

"Elder" people have much more experience and perspective than younger people. Thus they've seen the decline of horse racing and boxing which were 2 of the 3 most popular sports in this country before 1950. They've seen the most popular sport, baseball, take a back seat to other sports.

Your comment is absurd.

I see I don't have to correct you on Lem Barney's more recent comments as others have done so, whether or not you acknowledge that.

They've been saying this since I was a kid in the 70s. Soccer is America's "fastest growing sport" for 40 years now. Just wait till all these kids playing become adults! - Those kids are middle age now!

Yep. That's why I expressed doubt about a link between youth participation and spectator popularity.

Let me also reiterate that I don't think those sports are in any danger of disappearing altogether. Hell, some people still play royal court tennis, squash and hurling.

And Equestrian, Polo. Actually, the sport that is growing quite widely is Cricket. The Cricket World Cup and the IPL (Professional Cricket League in India) telecast was viewed in 180+ countries.