If the Bills acquire 2 QB's......

jaybee

For a while I was in the draft 2 QBs this year camp.

However upon more reflection, I've changed my view to drafting a quarterback in the first round this year and one next year IF NECESSARY.

Here's why:

1) The rookie QB we take in the first round this year needs to be given every opportunity to succeed and drafting a second QB to look over his shoulder, take practice and game reps from him could undermine his chances of success. I know it happened to work with RG III and Cousins in Washington but I think that usually it would be more damaging than beneficial to a rookie QB.

2) The Bills only have 6 draft picks this year. Although QB is by far the most important position, I don't think you use 2 of your 6 picks on QBs.

3) If the QB the Bills draft this year ends up sucking and falling flat on his face, the Bills record will reflect that. They will have a high draft position AND a clear conscience to again select a QB in the first round next year.

4) If this year's rookie QB succeeds admirably, then the Bills needn't draft another QB in the first round next year, thus not unnecessarily over-investing in the position.

edit: That said, I'd like the Bills to draft another quarterback next year even if he's not taken in the first round. It's always good to have young promising QBs on the roster.

Well said.

CBF

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We only have 6 draft picks. I think we will spend the 1st or 2nd on a QB. I think we will probably have our eyes on a couple of UDFA we will bring in to compete with Corp and keep the best of them. That's what we should have been doing the last 2 years (both the "draft a QB" and the "bring in UDFA").

QFT. With only 6 picks, the Bills can't grab two in the draft and ignore other needs. We may take a flyer on an UDFA quarterback, though. (Perhaps Brad Sorenson?)