The reality of coaching changes

I know it's Pro Football Talk, but in this rare instance, it make sense:

"Coaches who think they’ll possibly be in line for one of the many looming coaching vacancies are commencing the process of lining up potential coaching staffs while preparing for the final game of the regular season. And that necessarily creates distractions for assistant coaches who are currently working for playoff teams, since they’ll be among the most desirable candidates for jobs.

For example, in Denver we’re told that offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio are each getting their ducks in a row, in the event that they are asked to interview for jobs during the upcoming bye week (if, of course, the Broncos earn a bye).

In Cincinnati, the same thing is happening with offensive coordinator Jay Gruden and defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. The earliest they’ll be available to interview, however, would be after wild-card weekend.

This creates a current land rush for potential assistant coaches to be hired by the potential head coaches, and it likewise creates a dilemma for the potential assistant coaches, who will be pulled in different directions and forced to prioritize (assuming they’re even being completely honest) about where they will go if a certain assistant gets hired as a head coach in a certain city.

The end result is that it all becomes a mess — and the mess is bigger than usual this year, since there’s a belief that 10 or more jobs could come open."

.....so as we can see, any coaching/GM changes that the Bills are going to make won't be done in a vacuum. I'm not arguing for or against firing Gailey/Nix, but it looks like things will be more chaotic than they have been in years. At least the offseason is going to be interesting!

I know it's Pro Football Talk, but in this rare instance, it make sense:

"Coaches who think they’ll possibly be in line for one of the many looming coaching vacancies are commencing the process of lining up potential coaching staffs while preparing for the final game of the regular season. And that necessarily creates distractions for assistant coaches who are currently working for playoff teams, since they’ll be among the most desirable candidates for jobs.

For example, in Denver we’re told that offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio are each getting their ducks in a row, in the event that they are asked to interview for jobs during the upcoming bye week (if, of course, the Broncos earn a bye).

In Cincinnati, the same thing is happening with offensive coordinator Jay Gruden and defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. The earliest they’ll be available to interview, however, would be after wild-card weekend.

This creates a current land rush for potential assistant coaches to be hired by the potential head coaches, and it likewise creates a dilemma for the potential assistant coaches, who will be pulled in different directions and forced to prioritize (assuming they’re even being completely honest) about where they will go if a certain assistant gets hired as a head coach in a certain city.

The end result is that it all becomes a mess — and the mess is bigger than usual this year, since there’s a belief that 10 or more jobs could come open."

.....so as we can see, any coaching/GM changes that the Bills are going to make won't be done in a vacuum. I'm not arguing for or against firing Gailey/Nix, but it looks like things will be more chaotic than they have been in years. At least the offseason is going to be interesting!

Interesting post. Something to keep in mind in the next couple weeks. As far as the off season being interesting? At least we can finally watch something that is interesting for once.

Ever notice all the sought after offensive coordinators happen to be from teams with strong QB's ?

Hmmmm what a coincidence. It's a joke how little coaching has to do with winning if you have a pro bowl QB. The great ones like Tom Brady can even make the defensive coordinator's look good because they're frequently playing with a lead and getting the other team off their gameplan.

Look at some of the guys he's made look good : Charlie Weiss, Crennel, Belichick, Josh McDaniel, Eric Mangini. All fired head coaches in their careers with losing records outside of New England, but on a team with a stud QB they become geniuses.

Frankly I don't care who our coach is. If I were the owner I would put all my efforts into getting a top notch QB. Find out why everybody in the NFL passed on Russel Wilson a few times last season, what did we miss in our scouting? What QB evaluation system do we have in place that steered us to pass on Andy Dalton or Kapernick when we need a qb? What will it take to sign Alex Smith or Flynn or get TJax a chance to show if he can do it.

I think all the coaching worries and changes and rumors are meaningless. The Colts didn't even really have a HC coach this year and they were the worst team in the league last year, but they're in the playoffs.

Find me a f%ckin QB.