As predicted TMQ calls us out...

Speaking of player packages, was that the time when Shaud was in because Willis had a stinger and missed a few plays, or no? I was questioning WTF Shaud was in for at the time over Willis myself.

Yeah, I'm thinking it was. I don't remember if it was Farrior or Foote but it was a serious serious collision and I wouldn't be surprised if it made a big noise in the stadium. Both guys going balls out for the sticks but the 'backer got there a split second earlier and totally gave himself up to stop Willis. McGahee sent him ass over tincups up the sideline but the 'backer made a strong enough play to keep him jsut short.

You know, I wonder if maybe that was the play that put them in the 3rd/1 when the counter pitch blew up. If so here's an interesting possibility: McGahee jumped right up and was actually jawing with the 'backer on his way back to the huddle so the TClements had no idea he was hurt at first. Since the OC has to decide on th eplay and get it in within seconds of hte last play being over, it's possible that he called in the counterpitch they had been working on with Willis and then after he had already called the play in, McGahee realized he'd been stung. But by the time Willis got off the field, Dre's headset was already turned off and Clements couldn't call up something more conservative with Shaud on the field.

while were referencing TV replays what did you think of the interference call when the Steelers had third and long and threw deep down the right seem? It looked to most of us (even Steeler fans) like any of the contact was incidental....

I think you're talking about the one on Fletch, and if so it was the right call. The slot WR from the other side (I think) had him by a couple steps and London reached an arm out to hold the guy up to prevent a big(ger) play. Oddly enough it was a bad enough throw (into the wind I think) that even if Fletch hadn't touched him, he still might no have been able to make the adjustment to the ball.

But he was beat and did fully extend his left arm and grab the WR's right arm while the ball was in the air. There's no way in hell anybody's getting away with that this year; hell even the better corners who know how to do it with subtlety and craft can't even get away with it any more.

We're both just guessing here, but I think if you see the play again(I haven't either) and look closely you might change your mind. Watch how quickly Drew steps out and then fakes the pitch hard; had it been an actual pitchleft, he would have eyeballed Shaud and then went to make the pitch instead of coming right out from center and selling the pitch w/o even lookng at the back. I also think I remember Williams taking a hard step to his left and then coming back right at the same time Drew pivots his feet and body to position himself to pitch it the other way, which would indicate a designed counter. Finally check the LG and see if he doesn't come out and pull back to the right.

Regardless of the looks on anybody's faces or who has been practicing with who, I really got the sense from what happened on the field that the play was sort of a variation on the fakesneak throwback to the wideside they ran a couple weeks ago. Instead of faking the sneak they faked the pitchleft, and then countered back to the nearhash instead of the far hash; but instead of just simply pitching it like he was supposed to, Drew got jumpy and tried to deliver it overhand like had to Willis on the other play.

Cya

193958[/snapback]

you're right - i would need to look at it again. maybe you or I could write to mularkey in the ask the coach column on buffalobills.com to get the real scoop!

maybe you or I could write to mularkey in the ask the coach column on buffalobills.com to get the real scoop!

We could, but then if he gave us a straight answer, I'd be as pissed at him as I would if he wouldn't spill the beans. :D

Cya