way OT, but this is bothering me

ch19079

ok, a few weeks ago, a kid was arrested with 15 pipe bombs found in his room just 3 days befor the first day of school. (highschool kid). here in Apex, NC. they charged him with weapons of mass destruction. i think it was mentioned on this site.....

but i live in apex, and im getting pissed.

ok,

its not that im mad over him having the bombs... but i am mad about all the dumb people saying "he was just curious". if you dont know, it was a white kid. now if his name was muhommed or some other arabic name, they would have the CIA and be interagating this guy for months. but cus hes just a white kid, he was just CURIOUS???? there are alot of people "supporting" this little terrorist!!!!!!

he was going to blow up his school the first day of classes. and they want to just let him go. doest this seem strange to any of you???

sorry its OT

I started that thread about it. And I still maintain, a pipe bomb is *NOT* a WMD. Anyone here who says that it is better not turn around and vote for John Kerry based on the War in Iraq because if a pipe bomb IS considered a WMD, then Iraq has milllions of them.

And yes, I'd feel the same way even if the kid was of Arab decent (assuming he was a US citizen).

To be perfectly clear, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve punishment. I'm just saying that he shouldn't be charged with having WMDs. How many people here had M80s growing up? That'd probably be considered a WMD in today's day and age.

CW

PS: How do you KNOW he was going to blow up the school? Any links? Because as I said, I havn't followed the story at all since he was charged.

I understand your fear, but don't you think you're overreacting a little? I wish the world was perfect and we didn't have to deal with all this crap, but kids are copy cats. They see and hear things on TV and then immitate to get attention. I'm not condoning this kid's behavior. I think he should be taken to the woodshed and beat to an inch of his life.

Regarding your rant on politial correctness. Sorry I don't have any. There are too may people who have spent their life listening to their government use "hate the West" as a rallying point all in the name of religion. Afterall if people hate the West, they won't hate the government and the oppression the governemnt has bestowed on them. As long as I'm hated for nothing more than being alive, I have no political correctness. Can it. Please.

well when the president tells me they have nukes, and all we find is pipe bombs, im alittle upset.

but a highschool kid with 15 pipe bombs in his room, down the street form me, in NC, USA, it gets my attention.

we all know a pipe bomb is not a nuke, but he was going to kill several students. what else could you call it.

well when the president tells me they have nukes, and all we find is pipe bombs, im alittle upset.

but a highschool kid with 15 pipe bombs in his room, down the street form me, in NC, USA, it gets my attention.

we all know a pipe bomb is not a nuke, but he was going to kill several students. what else could you call it.

14227[/snapback]

Who the hell said anything about Nukes in Iraq? I don't recall hearing that (not that I follow it that closely). I recall hearing about chemical and biological weapons, but not nukes. But I digress, as I don't want this to get mired into politics at all.

If some pipebombs are a WMD here, they're a WMD anywhere, at least when it comes to the law. There's a reason simple laws are 15 pages long - they're spelled out in black and white to try and be impartial.

By your statement, if I have a baseball bat, I have a WMD -- I could bring it into school and easily kill several students with it.

You're spooked because it's near you -- fear is clouding your judgement. Learn from Yoda because fear turns to anger and anger leads you to the dark side (or something like that). :unsure:

Again I ask, how do you know he was going to bring them to school? Did he admit that he was going to? Maybe he was going to bring them into the woods and light them off like kids do (did?) with M80s? I havn't heard anything past the initial arrest, so if you have local links, I'd like to read 'em.

CW

Again I ask, how do you know he was going to bring them to school? Did he admit that he was going to? Maybe he was going to bring them into the woods and light them off like kids do (did?) with M80s? I havn't heard anything past the initial arrest, so if you have local links, I'd like to read 'em.

I just about fell out of my chair with this one. Normally I dont use movies as a source for quotes but this response from a dirty harry movie comes to mind:

"How did you know that he intended to rape her?"

"He was naked with a hard on, and he was chasing her with a knife"

I guess you cuold use your argument- How could you be sure what his intent was.

Light them off like kids do? How many kids do you know set off pipe bombs in the woods?

Do you remember the video tapes of the Columbine kids? They practiced their craft.....in the woods, before the Columbine massacre.

Again I ask, how do you know he was going to bring them to school?  Did he admit that he was going to?  Maybe he was going to bring them into the woods and light them off like kids do (did?) with M80s?  I havn't heard anything past the initial arrest, so if you have local links, I'd like to read 'em.

I just about fell out of my chair with this one.  Normally I dont use movies as a source for quotes but this response from a dirty harry movie comes to mind:

"He was naked with a hard on, and he was  chasing her with a knife"

I guess you cuold use your argument- How could you be sure what his intent was.

Light them off like kids do? How many kids do you know set off pipe bombs in the woods?

Do you remember the video tapes of the Columbine kids?  They practiced their craft.....in the woods, before the Columbine massacre.

14247[/snapback]

Your rape comparison isn't even close to the same -- if they were carrying the bombs IN the school, then ok. Let me rephrase your dirty harry quote:

"He was naked in his home with a hard on and had a knife on his nightstand."

Not quite the same, is it?

How many kids light off pipe bombs? As I said in my previous posts, I had a few friends who bought M80s and lit them off. An M80 isn't that much different from a pipe bomb, now is it? I'll refer you to the flamethrower link above. Is that a WMD? Should HE be arrested as well? If not, why not?

CW

I guess you're right, so if you see me walking down the street carrying a shotgun, think nothing of it.

14325[/snapback]

I can see that you're having a hard time seeing the difference (or you're just being stubborn)

If you have a shotgun in your HOUSE, I should think nothing of it.

If you have a pipe bomb (or M80) in your HOUSE, I should think nothing of it.

If you're carrying a shotgun down the STREET, that's a problem.

If you're carrying a pipe bomb down the STREET (or in the SCHOOL), there's a problem.

Sheesh, it's not that tough a concept. Besides, you're missing my MAIN argument, which is a pipebomb is NOT a WMD. A *GUN* is much more a WMD than a pipe bomb IMHO, yet GUNS are legal.

CW

14227[/snapback]

Ahhh ... now I get it. The real reason is you're upset is the tired political one. Why don't you go over to the PPP board? You can rant and rave all day long there and not waste space here. Just a suggestion.

Again I ask, how do you know he was going to bring them to school?  Did he admit that he was going to?  Maybe he was going to bring them into the woods and light them off like kids do (did?) with M80s?  I havn't heard anything past the initial arrest, so if you have local links, I'd like to read 'em.

14247[/snapback]

When I was a sophomore in highschool someone set off an M80 in the bathroom. The following week a smoker put his cigarette out a toilet seat, causing it to catch fire. After that the administration boarded up all the boys bathrooms in the school.

Ahhh ... now I get it.  The real reason is you're upset is the tired political one.  Why don't you go over to the PPP board?  You can rant and rave all day long there and not waste space here.  Just a suggestion.

14356[/snapback]

i didnt want this to be political, but the first post that responded to my initial post, compared these pipe bombs to WMDs in Iraq. sorry it went off on a tangent after that...

to get back to my main point. I was saying that cus he is white hes "just curious". but if he was of middle eastern background, he would be a terrorist.

also,

someone posted "if its at his house its no big deal, but if he was walking down the street with a bomb its a diffrent story..."

they found this guy, cus he was in a hit and run accident, and he had 6 bombs in his car.

also,

there is a HUGE diffrence between M80s and a PIPE BOMB. one causes a large bang, the other sends metal shards outward in an attempt to harm as many people as possable. and even if your curious, why would you make 15 of them?? or be driving around with 6 in your car??

i didnt want this to be political, but the first post that responded to my initial post, compared these pipe bombs to WMDs in Iraq. sorry it went off on a tangent after that...

to get back to my main point. I was saying that cus he is white hes "just curious". but if he was of middle eastern background, he would be a terrorist. 

also,

someone posted "if its at his house its no big deal, but if he was walking down the street with a bomb its a diffrent story..."

they found this guy, cus he was in a hit and run accident, and he had 6 bombs in his car.

also,

there is a HUGE diffrence between M80s and a PIPE BOMB. one causes a large bang, the other sends metal shards outward in an attempt to harm as many people as possable. and even if your curious, why would you make 15 of them?? or be driving around with 6 in your car??

14429[/snapback]

I said that a pipe bomb is NOT a WMD. Still believe that's so.

I've got no problem with him being arrested for having them. I have a problem with the WMD charges.

CW

I said that a pipe bomb is NOT a WMD.  Still believe that's so.

I've got no problem with him being arrested for having them.  I have a problem with the WMD charges.

CW

14441[/snapback]

ill have to agree with you on that one... but what else would you call it? :lol:

ill have to agree with you on that one... but what else would you call it?  :lol:

14470[/snapback]

A weapon? An explosive? What would it have been called 3 years ago? Definately not WMD (but I don't know what). I'm guessing that by charging him with WMD, he loses a bunch of rights (ala "terrorists") and has much harsher penalties because of the WMD destinction.

CW

fezmid... whatever the law defines a WMD as, is a WMD... whether you, or anyone else likes it or not. How do you define what a WMD is? I'm pretty sure that if one of those pipe bombs went off during school hours it would cause mass destruction... glass, metal, electric, human life, injuries, structural damage. If a pipe bomb can't be considered a WMD, then I'd hate like hell to see a real one. It may not be on par with anthax, or a dirty bomb, but how mayn lives have to be taken for a pipebomb to be considered a WMD?

It's no different than some of the drug laws.... in Oregon you can possess up to an ounce of grass and you're not breaking the law. If you carry an ounce of grass in NYS it could be a felony.

So this kid with 15 pipe bombs deserves to be punished to the max... I don't care how old he is. Apparently, he has no conception of right and wrong. A person like that is extremely dangerous and I couldn't care less if they locked him up for life.