Do you know why our kick returns are so successful?

I think, in the end, it comes down to effort and ego. There is just no room for a lack of effort on ST and rarely does ego exist as many of the players' sole responsibility is kick coverage. We have a nickel corner and a 3rd QB returning kick-offs for huge gains, clearly effort is a huge factor.

I don't know exactly what I'm trying to say, I can't put my finger on it. But it's like our ST is a microcosm of what the rest of our team could be. The talents there; the effort's not.

In the very general sense, special teamers are often marginal NFL players who don't see the field much. Every play they are involved in is a shot to let coaches know they deserve the roster spot. Hence, motivation probably less of a concern. They want to keep living the dream....and most have little guarantees.

Just my guess...

We also draft guys that are often special teams leaders.

Investing in smith, drafting mckelvin, carrying Martin, heck even Bradham was a noted special teams beast which I think was a big part of why we have him, carrying an extra kicker. We're not more intense, we just invest more in my opinion.