Sal Maiorana sums up Sunday pefectly

Mike Mularkey has been preaching it since the day he arrived in Buffalo almost a year ago. The Bills were going to be a ball control running team. Pound it in there. Be physical. Impose their will on the other team.

Sunday afternoon at electric Ralph Wilson Stadium, here came the opportunity to do all of that.

Here was a chance to shove it down the Steelers' throats and take firm control of the biggest game played in these parts in at least five years.

But wait. Buffalo's offensive deep thinkers tried to get cute. They tried to prove what brilliant strategists they are. They called a swing pass into the flat to fullback Daimon Shelton.

Arrrggghh!

ARRGGGHH! Indeed.... :doh:

I just thought too - that if we pound Willis into the line and fail to get the 1st - we just do it again. That shown confidence in the OL, the RB and challenges the team to go out an win in an agressive fashion. With so much on the line, running twice from inside their 40 yard line is a no brainer. Get the first and we are rolling and even if we don't get aTD we have a better percentage figgie available and the coaches have shown the players they have faith.

We have not heard the last of this call - TMQ will lament our mincing call. The football gods frowned on us there.

I just thought too - that if we pound Willis into the line and fail to get the 1st - we just do it again. That shown confidence in the OL, the RB and challenges the team to go out an win in an agressive fashion. With so much on the line, running twice from inside their 40 yard line is a no brainer. Get the first and we are rolling and even if we don't get aTD we have a better percentage figgie available and the coaches have shown the players they have faith.

We have not heard the last of this call - TMQ will lament our mincing call. The football gods frowned on us there.

190111[/snapback]

This was exactly what I said - on third down the mentality should have been two down territory - shove it down their throats - run it right up the middle - if you don't get it the first time, run it again. I was yelling at the time - Just run it up the middle! Twice if you have to! If you run it up the middle on 3rd down you minimize to almost zero the chance for a loss/penalty (not to mention eliminating sack/interception). I agree exactly w/ what Maiorana says - keep it simple - with a pass there are so many things that can go wrong.

I do not blame the missed field goal on the loss - to me the momentum changed when they didn't get that first down. They had driven all the way doen the field and the mo had shifted. That to me was the biggest coaching blunder MM had all season and it cost them the season. He had the chance to practice what he has been preaching all along - and show confidence in his team to get one friggin yard the smash mouth way (two chances) - and he blew it - for all of us.

Sal is wrong. It was a good play with a borderline call. Go through every pass play in the league and you'll see pics. Shelton made the first down. McGahee was probably not going for a 10 yard run. A stupid comment by Sal--stupid.