Neil Rackers' Free Kick

Found this on one of my Youtube excursions and I have no idea what the point of this was or how it came to be.

Skip to 2:00 for the actual kick.

youtube.com/watch?v=kCBBUMnRqbo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_catch_kick

When you use this:

The punt or free kick must be fair-caught at a point close enough to make a field goal attempt plausible. There will usually be insufficient time to run more than one play from scrimmage... In the NFL, a fair catch kick may still be attempted if the half ends on the fair catch play.

you can fair catch a kickoff (or technically a fg attempt) and on the next play try a free fg (no tee allowed) even if time has expired

obviously an extremely seldom used rule

edit: didnt know it could be used on a punt. is that correct? i thought it was only for kos and fgs or a safety kick

Edited by Meathead

That's good to know. I bet Janikowski would be able to make the kick from anywhere.

Also, two interesting things I found. The last attempt made was the Chargers against the Bills in 1976 and this:

Wane McGarity fair caught a punt on the Atlanta 47 with no time left in the first half. Dallas coach Chan Gailey knew of the rule, and had specifically instructed McGarity to fair catch the punt if it was inside the 50, but Gailey forgot that he would be able to attempt the kick with no time left on the clock. Instead, the Cowboys went to the locker room.

I bet if the situation presents itself again, Gailey will pounce on it. :lol:

I've never felt more football knowledgable in my life than on this day. I know nobody will believe this, but I actually predicted that Whisenhunt would free kick as soon as the fair catch occurred. For years, my uncle (who sits next to me at home games) has been harping on why coaches don't take advantage of the rule more often, so I'm always looking for the time that it will actually happen.

The rest of the room looked at me like I was on drugs (come to think of it...I may have been, but that's neither here nor there).

Yeah, it definitely applies to punts: it's the only time it's likely to get you anywhere. Opponent is punting from the shadow of their own goal line, and you fair catch around their 45. That's a 55 yard kick, once hte end zone is factored in, and so somewhat makeable. Given the bonus from no rush and a running start, you might be able to get up to 65 yards and have it be worth it.