NCAA Student Athletes

Really interesting article on a memphis player struggling to hold together life at home (poor background an understatement), while pursuing football (his big shot) and learning how to read (was passed along the whole way). Really brings into focus some of the major issues that face these kids trying to make it to the next level. obviously many of them being his own creation, while others are a product of where he came from.

Long read but I enjoyed the quick breeze through it i just gave. I will probably be giving it a closer read later and reflecting on it some more.

http://chronicle.com/article/The-Education-of-Dasmine/132065/

I read the whole article and I am really at a loss for words to discribe my feelings! I will do what I am able to do, pray that his life becomes more full and less dangerous, but sadness fills my every thought about this story. I wonder if coaching is an avenue for him? Working with kids is a heroic step for him, IMO, so here's hoping that all will work out for Mr. Cathey. May God bless him richly in the future.

I stopped using student athlete with ncaa when another Memphis player derrick rose had the whole sat thing and was rewarded with a huge Nba contract - the entire college sports scene is a joke at division 1 level in bball and challenge I wish they would just pay those guys and stop calling it an education

Thanks for posting NoSaint. I read the whole article (am recently getting in the habit of actually reading whole articles before posting now) and have to say that I wish him the best. Family First is a view I admire and follow. Dasmine had some very hard times and I'm glad he's using his experiences to help others. Just makes me wonder how many college athletes we pass on the streets walking with pride but yet hiding the rigours of life they go thru. Not like we all don't have things to deal with but Dasmine probably has had more than most. It's just good he's trying to be productive with his life.