Most important wait and see question...

Can the Bills Stop the Run? Obviously the success of the season for the Bills floats around a mixture of questions on improving different aspects of the game from last year. The #1 talked about topic is pressuring the QB with the new D-Line. That's great on 3rd Down passing situations but if we can't get past giving up 5-8 yards on 1st down plays against the run then what good is a pass rush? Teams last year crushed our D just by running it every direction they could against us.

What improvements have we made to compensate for how horrendous our run D was?

I agree this is still a big concern until the D can prove otherwise. Having an elite pass rush is nice, but this team has still been one of the worst at stopping the run over the past 3 years. Hopefully Wanny's system can put a stop to that..

Can the Bills Stop the Run? Obviously the success of the season for the Bills floats around a mixture of questions on improving different aspects of the game from last year. The #1 talked about topic is pressuring the QB with the new D-Line. That's great on 3rd Down passing situations but if we can't get past giving up 5-8 yards on 1st down plays against the run then what good is a pass rush? Teams last year crushed our D just by running it every direction they could against us.

What improvements have we made to compensate for how horrendous our run D was?

Mario is a very good run defender as well. Also, Kelsay being back at his natural position helps. Plus, committing to the 43 with Williams and Dareus in the middle, essentially takes away the run between the tackles whereby forcing runners to the outside. To me, this is good as Barnett flows very well to the ball and Sheppard had a lot of success in college @ MLB in a 43 filling and taking away the cutback lanes...By they way, I'm a big fan of Shep, so my post is a bit bias in that regard. Byrd showed a lot of improvement in run support last year and Wilson always seems to be in the mix down near the LOS. Basically, I see our run defense as improved by default...we'll see.

I agree this is still a big concern until the D can prove otherwise. Having an elite pass rush is nice, but this team has still been one of the worst at stopping the run over the past 3 years. Hopefully Wanny's system can put a stop to that..

Agreed...but all things about his system favors an improved run D. He likes attacking DT's rather than space/blocker eating 2 gappers that let the LB's clean up 3-5 yards off the LOS.

Edited by Armchair GM

Road record and games within the division are simply the key for Buffalo, if they are to rise in the Eastern division. They must develop a winning mentality quickly (after all those years of losing) and establish themselves as the NEW Big Dog, not New England. It will be tough, and it'll be fun to watch, IMO.

Edited by Bflojohn