The Bills starting lineup…

A few disclaimers first:

I remember mentioning when Aaron Maybin was drafted that I found it odd that he was running with the 3rd stringers in the OTA immediately following the draft. Many people here advised me that it was not significant and to not read too much into it.

It is very early and some of the present starters are seemingly based on seniority, giving the proper respect to tenured veterans. Injuries have also dictated starters at several positions.

While Maybin was third string in his first team workouts, one of the surprise starters at this albeit very early date is first rounder Stephon Gilmore. Just as interesting is that the other starting cornerback at this moment is Leodis McKelvin. Of course Terrence McGee is not working out yet and McKelvin split snaps with Aaron Williams.

Kyle Williams is also not participating right now so the "next man up" is… Dwan Edwards. Similar injury situations exist at wide receiver with Stevie Johnson not participating and offensive line with Eric Wood not yet ready to practice.

At RDE, Chris Kelsay is the starter at this moment ahead of Mark Anderson although Gailey said in his remarks today that he considers his top 4 DEs to all be starters.

Perhaps most significant is on the offensive line where Cordy Glenn has already been installed at LOT with Chris Hairston working out at right tackle for the injured Eric Pears.

Click this link for the other starters (at the bottom of the piece):

http://wgr550.com/tw...sdrive/13267262

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I love seeing Glenn getting starts. Especially against guys like Williams, Dareus, Kelsey and Edwards. Should be really good experience for him. I also think the same thing for Hairston at RT.

Gilmore starting at CB was expected and I guess it's probably good that McLelvin and Williams split time. They will both be getting lots of time on the field regardless who starts.

Gladd Nelson is in at WR and Jones in the slot. Suprised to see Graham starting already but I assume it's to get an idea if he can handle it. Nelson reminds me so much of a guy like Cruz or Austin. I really like Nelson and hope he breaks out this year. If it's opposite Stevie or in the slot again I expect a big year out of him.

Glad CJ is getting starting time as well.

The info on Fitz "learning" to throw is both welcomed and baffling at the same time. First thought, I'm so glad he's getting the proper training and hope it really helps Jim in his first full offseason and season as starter. Second thought, with his Harvard education how in the he!! Could he not realize he needed help with this stuff or figure out how to pick up a phone to contact some other starting QBs to see what they've done. Brees would have been a good call here, Rodgers, Eli would have been help also. Third thought, If..... Chan is such an offensive genius, why couldn't he see this stuff earlier and help Fitz before it got to this. I know we upgraded the coaching position this year but it seems like it could have been sooner.

That's my opinion on all this info. Enjoy.

Seems like someone is off, though I think it may just be Hamilton not writing the CB rotation accurately...

BuffaloBills.com report

The starting cornerbacks were rotated. Leodis McKelvin was entrenched as the starting right cornerback, but Aaron Williams and Stephon Gilmore rotated in and out on the left side with the first unit during team work.

Gilmore also saw a lot of time at right cornerback with the second unit opposite Justin Rogers.

I don't think there are any big surprises with the starters, considering injuries and all.

And as far as the rookies being inserted form day one, I can tell you as a college coach, you start whom you think is the best option there (there's a reason Aaron Maybin was 3rd team from day one, and his play only confirmed that). I have never met a coach who didn't want to put his best players on the field, so if you think a rookie is your best player, they go first. Now if their play (including the mental as well as physical aspects) tells you something different, then you make changes.

Don't over think it, it's as sImple as that. Depth Charts do mean something.

Edited by CSBill