Big Nickel

Defensive strategy and personnel grouping for the Patriots and other's hybrid offenses

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19103779/got-a-big-nickel-youll-need-one-to-combat-hybrid-offenses-this-fall

With Scott, Searcy, Byrd, and Wilson I think we have the size and speed to match up reasonably well - especially if Searcy improves his coverage skills. Hopefully with a D-line that can generate a pass rush with only four down lineman rushing, the back 7 can get more three and outs and turnovers.

Defensive strategy and personnel grouping for the Patriots and other's hybrid offenses

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19103779/got-a-big-nickel-youll-need-one-to-combat-hybrid-offenses-this-fall

With Scott, Searcy, Byrd, and Wilson I think we have the size and speed to match up reasonably well - especially if Searcy improves his coverage skills. Hopefully with a D-line that can generate a pass rush with only four down lineman rushing, the back 7 can get more three and outs and turnovers.

The sad part about reading that is Chan's refusal to use the TE position, When Fitz was doing well was when Chandler was catching passes. We have plenty of big bruiser type of TEs but no real WR type and don't give me that Onobun practice squad high potential stuff. I really wanted Fleener but he was gone (rather we traded up for him versus Graham) we also Could have grabbed Michael Egnew and Orson Charles. I really hope Chan can keep the O going bc if not it's going to be a long season.

On the Defensive side we didn't have the safeties to cover them last year so unless Dave can scheme or get the LBs to cover TEs better we will continue to give up big plays to TEs, which seem to be the calling card of this team for over a decade.

If we don't draft QB first round next year we can get Ray-Ray Armstrong 6'4" 215 out of Miiami. This kid is a real playmaker and could be the next Ed Reed.

The Bills have been doing this the past two seasons. Bryan Scott, Jarius Byrd and George Wilson all played in this defense for the Bills last year. I assume Kirwan didn't mention the Bills because they typically stink against the Patriots. However, in the win last year, two brady picks came out of this formation I believe with Scott and Wilson snagging one of Brady's throws.