Blackmon or Kalil ?

If this were to happen as Buddy Nix stated it would be a "no brainer"

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/23/cosell-talks-mock-draft/

IMHO it would be Blackmon and I have been beating the drum for franchise LT for ages, much like my friend Bill in NYC

Who would You draft???

Oh and Greg Cosell works for NFL films and is well respected in the league

The right thing to do would be Kalil. The Bills would take Blackmon. It's hard for me to believe otherwise.

[Yep interesting and Cosell's take is as good as anyones guess. As far as just watching tape bit; you know GM's used to ask this guys opinion and all he did was watch tape after tape from his NYC flat. IMO he was one of the best ever. His name was Joel Bushbaum.

Did Joel Bushbaum get fired for making bad draft picks...or did the GMs? The difference lies in the accountability and having to execute.

If that is the choice, then Buddy can either run to the podium to pick Blackmon or fall in with the Browns (Adrian Peterson) and the Fins (Matt Ryan) who also passed on game changers to pick an LT in the top 10.

Is this a serious thread or a gag?

Cleveland and Miami are the best example for the fact that drafting a LT in the top 10 is foolish. Add Trent Williams (Redskins), Russell Okung (Seahawks), Jason Smith (Rams), Eugene Monroe (Jaguars), Levi Brown (Cardinals), and Robert Gallery (Raiders), to that list. Some of them have turned out to be good players. None of them play for perennial contenders.

The best teams draft difference-makers in the top 10 if they get there. Winners don't draft LTs early on, but late in the first (if you're a winning team) or early in the second (if you're a losing team).

Drafting Kalil over someone the Bills believe to be an impact player on the defensive line or receiver is foolish. Trading up for him- as some people have suggested- is idiotic.

Kalil, always have been and always will be a firm believer in the most important part of the field is the front lines.

How many of last year's playoff teams, when they were drafting in the top ten over the last five or six years, have used a top ten pick on a LT? None. Andre Smith of the Bengals is the only player in last year's playoffs to have been a top ten pick on the offensive line, and he is a mediocre RT; he's certainly not the reason for Dalton's success.

The Lions drafted players like Suh, Stafford, and Calvin Johnson.

The Texans drafted on the defensive line- Okoye and Mario Williams; the time they drafted 11th overall, last year, they picked up the excellent J.J. Watt at defensive end.

The Saints drafted Reggie Bush- a bust, but a key part of their system for years- and Sedrick Ellis, one of their better defensive linemen.

The Broncos drafted Von Miller, a Pro Bowler and a key part of the defense that led them to a playoff spot last year.

If you want to stretch this to the immediate area out of the top 12, you get guys like Ryan Clady, a Pro Bowl LT drafted by the Broncos at 12. He, however, is the exception, not the rule. The idea that Kalil is a "safe" pick is absurd; there is no such thing as a safe pick, and LT has proven to have a high bust rate, if anything; see the history of top ten LTs over the last six years.

Good teams don't draft LTs in the top 10. They draft disruptive defensive players or playmakers/QBs on offense, and shore up their offensive line in the end of the first round when they make the playoffs (where a number of very good LTs have been drafted recently).

I hope the Bills stay away from Kalil, let alone Reiff.

The right thing to do would be Kalil. The Bills would take Blackmon. It's hard for me to believe otherwise.

One thing is certain, it would cause consternation and debate for a long time. I remember Buddy Nix telling a group of us at the draft lunchon last year after all the speeches and ra-ra stuff was over that this team needs playmakers and he basically stated much the same thing this year if I remember correctly. Then you add in his comments that more depth for tackle willl be added in the draft. Of course Nix could do a 90 in his thinking and grab Kalil.

Do I think any of this is a realistic senerio ? of course not but like I said before its Silly Season and only takes one GM to have brain fart to blow the whole thing up.

Two weeks ago, the idea that either of these guys would be available at #7 was absolutely insane.

But only a couple days away, it's actually plausible.

- I've been inclined to think the Vikings are bluffing in hopes of a trade down. But their statement that "we play Aaron Rodgers, Matthews Stafford and Jay Cutler six times every season" is actually a legitimate reason to take Morris Claiborne instead.

- If Minnesota takes Claiborne and Cleveland takes Richardson, that leaves the Bucs with a dilemma. They very likely could take the BPA in Kalil even though he isn't their biggest need. Or they could trade the pick to someone that takes him. But it's not crazy to think they reach for a bigger need like Luke Kuechly. Or a trading partner could move in for Fletcher Cox/Ryan Tannehill.

Would it really be a huge stretch to see the draft go like this?

1 - Luck

2 - Griffin

3 - Claiborne

4 - Richardson

5 - Kuechly

6 - Cox

7 - Gilmore

8 - Tannehill

9 - Brockers

Hey your take on it falling this way is as valid as anyone elses. Those are all very good players except that QB's like Tannehill are always pushed higher that the tape warrents but thats the nature of the NFL Draft beast.

How many of last year's playoff teams, when they were drafting in the top ten over the last five or six years, have used a top ten pick on a LT? None. Andre Smith of the Bengals is the only player in last year's playoffs to have been a top ten pick on the offensive line, and he is a mediocre RT; he's certainly not the reason for Dalton's success.

The Lions drafted players like Suh, Stafford, and Calvin Johnson.

The Texans drafted on the defensive line- Okoye and Mario Williams; the time they drafted 11th overall, last year, they picked up the excellent J.J. Watt at defensive end.

The Saints drafted Reggie Bush- a bust, but a key part of their system for years- and Sedrick Ellis, one of their better defensive linemen.

The Broncos drafted Von Miller, a Pro Bowler and a key part of the defense that led them to a playoff spot last year.

If you want to stretch this to the immediate area out of the top 12, you get guys like Ryan Clady, a Pro Bowl LT drafted by the Broncos at 12. He, however, is the exception, not the rule. The idea that Kalil is a "safe" pick is absurd; there is no such thing as a safe pick, and LT has proven to have a high bust rate, if anything; see the history of top ten LTs over the last six years.

Good teams don't draft LTs in the top 10. They draft disruptive defensive players or playmakers/QBs on offense, and shore up their offensive line in the end of the first round when they make the playoffs (where a number of very good LTs have been drafted recently).

I hope the Bills stay away from Kalil, let alone Reiff.

All good points, thanks. I think all the angst over the LT position (me included) have their roots in the Bills loosing Will Wilfork to Indy years ago. Since then the Bills have been serviceable at best at the LT position.

Did Joel Bushbaum get fired for making bad draft picks...or did the GMs? The difference lies in the accountability and having to execute.

Well many teams valued his advice FWIW. When Joel Bushbaum passed away all the teams top brass attended. This was no off the wall draft guru. He knew his talent especially in later rounds and was very well respected in the NFL. I first heard of Bushbaum thru John Murphy back when he started out on WBEN raidio. Well John's and my path happened to cross a few times and one time I asked John about who is this Joel Bushbaum and John Murphy clued me in. At first there was newsletters and then ProFootballWeekly hired him and put out a draft guide later. This was all before the Internet as we know it today. Heck who had a computer in 85 when I got my first Ourlads Guide ? BTW their first guide was in 83 and would sure like to have that one ! And Kiper took the draft mainsteam in 84 on ESPN but before that you could call him at home. Draft info all seemed to blossom at once from multiple sources which was like bread from heaven for us draftniks !! It wasn't easy getting info on players and maybe thats why I appreciate all the info thats at anyones firgertips today. These are the people who got this whole draft ball rolling so maybe I've said a prayer for Joel Bushbaum from time to time.

If this were to happen as Buddy Nix stated it would be a "no brainer"

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/23/cosell-talks-mock-draft/

IMHO it would be Blackmon and I have been beating the drum for franchise LT for ages, much like my friend Bill in NYC

Who would You draft???

Oh and Greg Cosell works for NFL films and is well respected in the league

Blackmon. We need a starter more at WR than we do at LT.

Well many teams valued his advice FWIW. When Joel Bushbaum passed away all the teams top brass attended. This was no off the wall draft guru. He knew his talent especially in later rounds and was very well respected in the NFL. I first heard of Bushbaum thru John Murphy back when he started out on WBEN raidio. Well John's and my path happened to cross a few times and one time I asked John about who is this Joel Bushbaum and John Murphy clued me in. At first there was newsletters and then ProFootballWeekly hired him and put out a draft guide later. This was all before the Internet as we know it today. Heck who had a computer in 85 when I got my first Ourlads Guide ? BTW their first guide was in 83 and would sure like to have that one ! And Kiper took the draft mainsteam in 84 on ESPN but before that you could call him at home. Draft info all seemed to blossom at once from multiple sources which was like bread from heaven for us draftniks !! It wasn't easy getting info on players and maybe thats why I appreciate all the info thats at anyones firgertips today. These are the people who got this whole draft ball rolling so maybe I've said a prayer for Joel Bushbaum from time to time.

I did. :lol:

Look, the guy sounds like he really knew WTF he was about. I don't begrudge him or you. Yeah, we have certainly come a long way since then. It sounds like the guy deserves some of the credit for making this the now-national institution that it is. All too often, nobody remembers the original guy. I'm glad you shared this with us, as history is key to understanding and appreciation.

As I said above, this type of approach is great for fans, because it gives us new perspective, and is therefore interesting. I mean, Janoris Jenkins at #5? :o However, when you have teams like the Bills, who won't touch a poor character guy with a 10' pole, or system-first teams, it loses some of its importance in terms of figuring out who is taking who.