OT-Former Sabre Rob Ray

Tolstoy

I apologize if all of you know this already, but apparently Rob Ray is being punished by the NHL players union. They are refusing to compensate him from the players lockout fund. He is being punished (according to Ray) because he declared in October that he would be willing to cross the line and return playing in the NHL as a replacement player. If this is indeed the reason that he is being refused compensation, it shows how rotten the player's union truly is, and how much a man of character Ray is. He just wants to play hockey.

On the other hand, Ray is getting very old for a hockey player, and one who was very short on skills from the start (not on grit!). He did not play most of last year before signing with the Senators in February. It is probable that he would not have been playing with a team if the league were going on as normal. Should he be given compensation if he wouldn't have been playing? Ray's declaration that he would play, given the opportunity, may have been a ploy to give himself leverage to receive compensation as a player suffering from the lockout.

Well, I side with Ray here. He has as much sand off the ice as he did on the ice. I believe he has every intention of playing hockey, provided some team signed him. At any rate, he has filed suit against the players union. Good for him: throw them a haymaker! Just leave your shirt on Rob!

I apologize if all of you know this already, but apparently Rob Ray is being punished by the NHL players union.  They are refusing to compensate him from the players lockout fund.  He is being punished (according to Ray) because he declared in October that he would be willing to cross the line and return playing in the NHL as a replacement player.  If this is indeed the reason that he is being refused compensation, it shows how rotten the player's union truly is, and how much a man of character Ray is.  He just wants to play hockey.

On the other hand, Ray is getting very old for a hockey player, and one who was very short on skills from the start (not on grit!).  He did not play most of last year before signing with the Senators in February.  It is probable that he would not have been playing with a team if the league were going on as normal.  Should he be given compensation if he wouldn't have been playing?  Ray's declaration that he would play, given the opportunity, may have been a ploy to give himself leverage to receive compensation as a player suffering from the lockout.

Well, I side with Ray here.  He has as much sand off the ice as he did on the ice.  I believe he has every intention of playing hockey, provided some team signed him.  At any rate, he has filed suit against the players union.  Good for him: throw them a haymaker!  Just leave your shirt on Rob!

183404[/snapback]

Like most Buffalonians, I'm a Rob Ray fan. He was a great part of those teams from the last decade and I was always happy to see that toothless smile after an improbable goal (remember the pasting the Sabres put on the Leafs in the '99 playoffs?). He's also been a stand-up member of the community as a lead spokesman (and actual "doer") in so many great causes. Sure he's right that the union is punishing him for declaring he'd cross the line. That's how unions work and a guy that is made in that union mold (nice guy, but willing to mix it up when needed) understands that. He's just voicing his opinion right now. Nothing wrong with saying it as long as he understand that he won't be getting much sympathy from the union guys.

Anyway, the union will probably have to acquiesce before play can begin again. The NHL players must understand that the TV money the other sports get just won't be there for hockey. That said, their strategy should probably not be to block the salary cap, but more to ensure a great pension program for players (low age for benefits, low service requirements), so that more players that dedicate themselves to the game and make it to the top are provided for when their playing days are over (usually sooner than later).

One more thing on Ray: This is about money. IT'S ALWAYS ABOUT MONEY. If he "just wants to play hockey" he can join a rec league.

Nearly 18,000 at the Rochester Amerks - Edmonton Roadrunners AHL game here in Bflo last nite.

Do you think this is an indication that, if this season is scrapped and "replacement" players are used next season, the fans would still support the game?

Nearly 18,000 at the Rochester Amerks - Edmonton Roadrunners AHL game here in Bflo last nite.

Do you think this is an indication that, if this season is scrapped and "replacement" players are used next season, the fans would still support the game?

183557[/snapback]

If the NHL uses replacement players, I'll probably just get season tickets to the Minnesota Golden Gophers. I bought my wife tickest to a game in January so we'll see how it compares to the NHL. She may even like it more, since there's less clutch-and-grab, and more skating.

CW

I don't know if fans would support the game, but using replacement players and guys like Rob Ray and the supposed "at least 10 other players" who would cross the picket lines would force the NHLPA to accept the salary cap. The longer they holdout, the more money players are actually LOSING overall, even if a cap were in-place.

183557[/snapback]

If the ticket prices are similar, then yes