My 2012 NFL Mock Draft v.1

Seems like posters here cannot post with logic and reasoning. Backup your claims with reasoning, then you may have a valid point. ;)

Beastly

First...would love to have Kahil fall to us

BUT

The reason why this probably not happen is past Kahil the OT's in this draft are iffy for left tackles....while it has been noted thee are SEVERAL good corner options....when you are drafting that high you take the option that you NEED and that you cannot get later in the draft....

"above average studs"? LOL so these days in order to be a stud you just have to be above average

They are young above average linemen that are grooming into studs. that's what it is meant to read to say.

If Kalil does get past Minnesota then Clevleand will trade down with someone who will take Kalil at 4. Yes Minnesota could take a CB. Even if that does not happen there is no way he makes it past St. Louis. Ergo short of him being busted driving 110 mph in a stolen car drunk he is not going to be a Buffalo Bill.

St Louis wants a WR. They have used 2 high picks on OT's the past 3 years in Jason Smith (RT) and Rodger Saffold (LT)... Another starting Tackle is not needed in St Louis.

Also, Cleveland I just don't think Cleveland will pass up on the opportunity to land a RB with pick 4. They have a big need at RB. Unless they were to only move down a few picks.

This is my first mock draft of the year. I usually do 2 a year and post them on condraft.com but that website has been down for awhile. I didn't do this last year. So first time since 2010 Draft. I will probably post a 2nd and 3rd round later this weekend. Just thought I would share my work, and how I kinda see the draft playing out.

Round 1:

1. Indianapolis Colts- Andrew Luck- QB- Stanford

There is no reason to explain here. Luck is the best QB prospect to come around since Peyton Manning, funny he will be joining the same team. Colts could surprise the football world and select RG3 with this pick.

2. Washington Redskins- Robert Griffin- QB- Baylor

There is no other reason Washington traded up to this pick other to select their next franchise QB. RG3 is probably the most dynamic QB to come out since Michael Vick. The difference is that RG3 is a better QB than Vick was coming out of college. Great vision and throwing mechanics. If Colts choose to select RG3 #1 then Andrew Luck will be the pick here.

3. Minnesota Vikings- Morris Claiborne- CB- L.S.U.

Yes, I just did that. Minnesota was horrible in pass coverage last year. They released Cedric Griffin, Antoine Winfield had an injury last year plus he is getting old and slowing down. Asher Allen showed flashes of starter capability but he would be a better slot cover corner in the nickel. I disagree with most mock drafts that have them selecting LT with this pick, they have bigger need in the interior of the line. Geoff Schwartz showed some promise at LT and is manageable. Give him another year to develop. If the Vikings don’t select Claiborne here, the obvious pick is Matt Kalil, the solid LT from USC. Kalil may free fall if not selected here based on team needs.

4. Cleveland Browns- Trent Richardson- RB- Alabama

This pick should be a no brainer for Cleveland. Hardesty is not a premier back; Colt McCoy needs a better run game if the Browns want to keep him as their franchise QB. Peyton Hillis and the Browns fell out last year; some people say Hillis faked injuries because he wanted a pay raise. With Hillis gone in FA the Browns need to fill that hole, and I believe they upgrade with the all-around talented RB from Alabama. Richardson can block, catch out of the backfield and he is a workhorse of a running back.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Melvin Ingram – OLB/DE – South Carolina

Well Tampa Bay would love to land Morris Claiborne, however I believe he goes to Minnesota. With no other CB’s worth a top 10 pick, the Bucs look for another need. Melvin Ingram may not be worth this high of a selection, but he is the best OLB in this draft. He would add a good run defender and an edge pass rusher to a defense that would love another one. If Claiborne or Richardson falls to this pick, Tampa Bay will select one of them before Ingram.

6. St. Louis Rams- Justin Blackmon- WR- Oklahoma State

Bradford needs some weapons in that offense. They have lacked a #1 WR since Issac Bruce and Torry Holt suited up. This will be a welcomed addition for both Sam Bradford and Steven Jackson, who could use a weight lifted off his shoulder. I think this is the only logical pick for the Rams as long as Blackmon is still on the board when they pick.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars- Quinton Coples- DE- North Carolina

They were able to resign Mincey in FA, but Aaron Kampman is aging and has been injury prone. They said they would like to focus on upgrading the D-Line this offseason and Coples has the talent to do that. If Coples shows up to play, he will leave a big impact on most games. He can get to the QB and is also a good run defender. If they Jags don’t select DE here they will likely select Michael Floyd with this pick.

8. Miami Dolphins- Ryan Tannehill- QB- Texas A&M

As a Bills fan, it was great seeing Miami fall on their face during this FA period. They lost bidding wars for Peyton Manning, Matt Flynn, and Alex Smith. Then they failed to try to close a trade for Tim Tebow. As a result they settle for David Garrard. Although Matt Moore has shown promised while playing in Carolina and Miami, he isn’t the franchise QB. Miami is in a tough spot, they have no #1 or #2 WR, as of now it is Davone Bess and Brian Hartline. Both Bess and Hartline are more slot receivers in a 3 WR set. WR Michael Floyd could also be the selection with this pick if the Jags pass on him.

9. Carolina Panthers- Dontari Poe- DT- Memphis

Everyone has a different opinion who the #1 DT is in this draft. Some say its Michael Brockers while others say it’s Dontari Poe. For me, the safer pick is Poe. Good run stopping DT and that’s exactly what Carolina is missing. Carolina also has needs at CB and WR. Kirkpatrick is a slight reach here; Michael Floyd would be the backup option.

10. Buffalo Bills- Matt Kalil- OT- USC

Going into the offseason, DE was their greatest need. It’s safe to say that is solidified with the additions of Mario Williams and Mark Anderson. The Bills however have failed to resign one key FA, which would be Demetrius Bell. The Bills could still resign Bell, but if not they will look to the draft. Hairston is not ready for a starting role yet. Matt Kalil is a top 5 prospect, but falls because of team needs. If Minnesota passes over him, I would guess this is where the free fall stops. Great run blocker, and has the ability to develop into a great blindside protector. If Kalil isn’t taken by Minnesota, then the pick here could be either Jonathan Martin- LT Stanford or WR- Michael Floyd. CB Dre Kirkpatrick would be a dark horse candidate.

[/i]

You know, it's not that crazy actually. Of the teams that pick ahead of the Bills, there are only 2 teams (Vikings and Rams) that are really desperate for a LT. They are each desperate for help at other positions too though.

I don't expect it to happen though.

Beastly

First...would love to have Kahil fall to us

BUT

The reason why this probably not happen is past Kahil the OT's in this draft are iffy for left tackles....while it has been noted thee are SEVERAL good corner options....when you are drafting that high you take the option that you NEED and that you cannot get later in the draft....

Agree with you 100%. But this is how I am thinking:

Claiborne is the best CB in this draft. He is worthy of a top 3, and its Minnesota's biggest need. Minnesota did sign LT Geoff Schwartz who was coached by Minnesota's OLine coach in Carolina. The other CB prospects: Jenkins has character issues and can be extremely lazy, if he didn't have those issues then hes a top 15 pick. Kirkpatrick isn't a true shut down corner, hes a big hitter and like Jenkins has major character concerns. After those 3 CB's, I would be surprised if another CB is anything better than a nickel CB next year. So to me Claiborne makes sense, they failed to sign a top CB in FA and they need one to make an impact immediately. To me Claiborne is the only guy that fits that description. I can see Kalil going past Minnesota because of that and they did sign a guy that can play LT.

After that, I don't see another team that would draft him before us (all of them are good LT's):

Cleveland has Joe Thomas,

Tampa Bay has Donald Penn,

St. Louis has Rodger Saffold,

Jacksonville has Eugene Monroe,

Miami has Jake Long, and

Carolina has Jake Gross

I just don't see any of them drafting Matt Kalil. One of the teams could trade their pick and a team needing a LT jumps in to grab Kalil. But if Minnesota passes on him, the only way I believe Kalil doesn't make it to us is if someone trades into the top (Which I don't make up trades in my mock draft, lol).

You know, it's not that crazy actually. Of the teams that pick ahead of the Bills, there are only 2 teams (Vikings and Rams) that are really desperate for a LT. They are each desperate for help at other positions too though.

I don't expect it to happen though.

St Louis has Rodger Saffold, pretty solid and drafted in 2010 (2nd round)

Edited by Beastly Dareus