EBay questions

Yesterday, I was surfing EBay looking at various things on which to make a bid.

First of all, I noticed that there are a lot of Bills games (especially old playoff games) on DVD that are available. Obviously, the seller transferred them from a video cassette home recording to DVD. One seller even brags that he has "edited out the commercials".

Second, I was looking at some “greatest hits” audio CD’s from several artists that people were selling. However, when I read the description, most of them are listed as either “copies” or “compiled from several CD’s”.

Two questions:

1. First of all, I thought that it was illegal to sell copies of broadcasts and music. Yet, when I look on Ebay, the majority of stuff being sold is copies (and they're not hiding the fact that they are copies). Am I missing something?

2. Second, have any of you ever bought stuff like this? How is the audio and video quality?

First of all, I noticed that there are a lot of Bills games (especially old playoff games) on DVD that are available.  Obviously, the seller transferred them from a video cassette home recording to DVD. One seller even brags that he has "edited out the commercials".

Second, I was looking at some “greatest hits” audio CD’s from several artists that people were selling.  However, when I read the description, most of them are listed as either “copies” or “compiled from several CD’s”.

Two questions:

1. First of all, I thought that it was illegal to sell copies of broadcasts and music. Yet, when I look on Ebay, the majority of stuff being sold is copies (and they're not hiding the fact that they are copies). Am I missing something?

2. Second, have any of you ever bought stuff like this? How is the audio and video quality?

181657[/snapback]

1) It is illegal, but eBay doesn't check the auctions. If you wanted to, you could bring those auctions to their attention, and they'd be removed within a day.

2) Never done it myself. Make sure you check out the DVDs I have though -- http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=9546 I don't rip people off, only charging the amount of the materials. :o (keep in mind though that I'm awaiting a new batch of priority mail envelopes; my local post office ran out! :( Should be here later this week. I still owe someone a copy of the Comeback game.

Others can vouch for the quality of the DVDs I do.

CW

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

My opinion always has been that if the materials are AVAILABLE FOR SALE OR USE, then it should be illegal. And yet if they are NOT, say Bills/Dolphins 1990 playoff game in its entirety, or Centurion: Defender of Rome from the 80's for PC, then we should be able to have those kinds of materials freely. It's not our fault people don't sell old NFL games in their entirety, or sell old computer games! Just my .02

First of all, I noticed that there are a lot of Bills games (especially old playoff games) on DVD that are available.  Obviously, the seller transferred them from a video cassette home recording to DVD. One seller even brags that he has "edited out the commercials".

Second, I was looking at some “greatest hits” audio CD’s from several artists that people were selling.  However, when I read the description, most of them are listed as either “copies” or “compiled from several CD’s”.

Two questions:

181657[/snapback]

They are illegal copies, and the quality may be fantastic... or crap. You'll know when you get it.

Others can vouch for the quality of the DVDs I do.

CW

181671[/snapback]

I'll vouch for the quality. The extras that Chris put in the 31-0 romp over the Pats to open the season last year were cool (extra highlights from NFL and ESPN). He edits the games by quarter and there's a chapter menu so you can get around the game easy.

Good stuff.