World Series (Baseball, not Poker) Picks

Let's see we we're 32-38 to start the season. Let me list why....

Chipper Jones, Marcus Giles, Raffy Furcal, Horacio Rameriez, JD Drew, Eli Marrero were all out during this period for extended times.

Since they have been back consistently we have been as good as you and that's why I'm using it as a benchmark.

Thanks for the insight and giving me nothing to work from other than "The Braves will lose in the first round"

Tell me why? Because your hitters are better???? Look what that did for the Braves of 03....we scored more runs that year than you are on pace for this year and we still didn't get past the first round.

Our pitching is solid, our hitters are better, our fielding is second to none.........should I keep going????

JD Drew........Eli Marerro........both ex Cardinals........Drew is a good player, but if you are listing Eli Marerro as some sort of huge injury to your club then I won't lose any sleep worrying about Atlanta (not that I am anyways).

Eli platoons in LF with Charles Thomas. He's hitting .335 and has been clutch in some big games this year. He has been a big part of our team and he doesn't demand a huge contract like the big name players you have.

By the way, you are third in fielding percentage not first. But, I'll give you this....

The Braves and the Cards have the same team ERA. Both at 3.74. That is the best in all of MLB.

I hope the Cards continue to play the way they've been playing. They don't look any further ahead than the next game. With the exception of one loss (a Thursday v. Cincinnati a couple weeks ago), they were in every single game since the beginning of June.

Say what you want about this rotation, but they have more quality starts than any other squad in MLB. They keep the Cards in the game, and with the lumber in this lineup, they are never out of a game.

That said, I think the biggest challenges will come from Atlanta and San Francisco. The Cubs are loaded with starting pitching, but they don't seem to have the chemistry it takes to win. Every time they win a game they act like they are on the brink of passing the Cards.

Prior said recently that he can't wait to face the Cards in the NLCS. Excuse me, but don't you think you should qualify before you trample the opposition and get to the NLCS?

LOL....Mark Prior....I think he should worry about getting his game back before making postseason predictions.

The teams I fear are the Cubs and the Cards.

The Giants just don't have the depth. The Dodgers have been riding Beltre all year...so I compare them to the Giants.

I hope the Cards continue to play the way they've been playing.  They don't look any further ahead than the next game.  With the exception of one loss (a Thursday v. Cincinnati a couple weeks ago), they were in every single game since the beginning of June.

Say what you want about this rotation, but they have more quality starts than any other squad in MLB.  They keep the Cards in the game, and with the lumber in this lineup, they are never out of a game.

That said, I think the biggest challenges will come from Atlanta and San Francisco.  The Cubs are loaded with starting pitching, but they don't seem to have the chemistry it takes to win.  Every time they win a game they act like they are on the brink of passing the Cards.

Prior said recently that he can't wait to face the Cards in the NLCS.  Excuse me, but don't you think you should qualify before you trample the opposition and get to the NLCS?

13472[/snapback]

Very good post and you are right, up to this point the Cardinals rotation has been EXCELLENT, I totally agree there and just to bring the Yankees into my point, their SP, and for good reason, is questioned, because of what they have done on the field. Now the Cards rotation, lets be honest here, I dont think anyone envisioned these pitchers having these kinds of years, so at least going into the playoffs, it has to be somewhat of a mystery because there isnt much history for their staff in the playoffs. And they very well just might prove the skeptics wrong.

I agree about Prior, and its not like hes been pitching lights out either. Its time for the Cubs to stop moaning about their injuries and play the kind of baseball they are capable of playing.

Whoever follows baseball has to know that the favorites are the Cardinals and Yankees. But the sleeper teams this year are the Atlanta Braves and the Minnesota Twins. Everyone else who makes it is good team but those four teams are the best.