Surprised how little attention is paid to Fred here.

I don't think its a need to rush as much as desiring Jackson to be paid what he is worth.

For Example ...

CJ Spiller:

Five-year, $25 million contract. The deal includes $20.8 million guaranteed. Another $12.5 million is available through incentives.

After 2 non spectacular seasons he is improving, but looks to be at best a situational running back at the NFL level.

Fred Jackson:

Four-year, $7.5 million contract. The deal included a $1.1 million signing bonus and a $650,000 roster bonus in the first year. $50,000 is available annually through workout bonuses.

One of the best every down backs in the league.

The unfairness irritates some people and they would like to see it rectified sooner rather than later.

DUDE!...Wow. Forget the numbers right? I agree Fred is a better all around RB when it comes to things like experience and pass blocking but the guy is 31 and about 7 years older than Spiller. Seriously! Take a look at the numbers. CJ had almost exactly the same yards per carry as Fred. Had a respectable yards per catch close to Freddie and for the big one....HE SCORED MORE TDS PER TOUCH THAN FREDDIE!!

Let's also just forget the fact that Spiller did this without the benefit of our best offensive lineman Eric Wood. Projected for a year Spiller gets around 1700 combined yards and 12+ TDs. Sitautional at best? I'll take that situation ALL DAY EVERY SUNDAY!!!! And that is if he doesn't improve one bit in what will be his 3rd year.

How you can ignore that and say that Spiller is situational at best and Fred is the best is ridiculous! They are very close in this important thing called performance not opinion. People have to come to grips with the fact that Fred is 31 and still under contract. MAN. If Jason Peters had this kind of support we would still have the perennial probolwer on our team.

Edited by PDaDdy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DUDE!...Wow. Forget the numbers right? I agree Fred is a better all around RB when it comes to things like experience and pass blocking but the guy is 31 and about 7 years older than Spiller. Seriously! Take a look at the numbers. CJ had almost exactly the same yards per carry as Fred. Had a respectable yards per catch close to Freddie and for the big one....HE SCORED MORE TDS PER TOUCH THAN FREDDIE!!

Let's also just forget the fact that Spiller did this without the benefit of our best offensive lineman Eric Wood. Projected for a year Spiller gets around 1700 combined yards and 12+ TDs. Sitautional at best? I'll take that situation ALL DAY EVERY SUNDAY!!!! And that is if he doesn't improve one bit in what will be his 3rd year.

How you can ignore that and say that Spiller is situational at best and Fred is the best is ridiculous! They are very close in this important thing called performance not opinion. People have to come to grips with the fact that Fred is 31 and still under contract. MAN. If Jason Peters had this kind of support we would still have the perennial probolwer on our team.

thanks for bringing this up.

a lot of people seem to think in order to be pro-Fred, one must be anti-CJ.

i will admit i was concerned spiller didnt make a seamless adjustment to the pro game, but i think it's safe to say he's improved at every opportunity. the stats speak for themselves.

i'll also admit that stats don't always tell the whole story, but i cant understand the anti-spiller sentiment after watching the games this season after fred went down. i'm convinced he's got what it takes. and that's no knock on jackson.

seems to me, a lot of people would rather stick to their guns than reconsider their opinion when faced with new information.

thanks for bringing this up.

a lot of people seem to think in order to be pro-Fred, one must be anti-CJ.

i will admit i was concerned spiller didnt make a seamless adjustment to the pro game, but i think it's safe to say he's improved at every opportunity. the stats speak for themselves.

i'll also admit that stats don't always tell the whole story, but i cant understand the anti-spiller sentiment after watching the games this season after fred went down. i'm convinced he's got what it takes. and that's no knock on jackson.

seems to me, a lot of people would rather stick to their guns than reconsider their opinion when faced with new information.

I hear ya man. It's all just typical bone headed forum talk. They can't call him a bust anymore. Some are still sticking to their BS he was a luxury pick statements despite the fact we were getting rid of Lynch and Fred was turning 31. They ignore the facts and stick to their guns. Nothing wrong with having a strong opinion if you know when to admit you are wrong. Not many here have the integrity of character to do so unfortunately.

I've been wrong before on Losman, KW and probably others. I've admitted that freely. There would be a lot less useless BS on this forum if others could do the same.

Edited by PDaDdy

That's all well and good but I still don't understand why people see a need for the rush. People need to realize the concept of an expiring contract in relation to a non-expiring contract. Freddie will get his money but what good is it prioritizing him ahead of guys like Stevie and Chandler whose contracts actually expire in a few weeks time at this point. Further what good is it prioritizing re-signing him to a new contract instead of negotiating with free agents from other teams during the free agent negotiating period. There is about 4-5 months time to get a deal done after you deal with the guys whose contracts are actually expiring. Let's what until at least April to complain about it.

While we're at it can we stop pretending that Nix doesn't have a plan in regards to re-signing his own? The pattern is pretty clear. You work on the contracts going into the last year starting in the prior off season and try to work to a deal by the end of training camp or during the season if the player is open to that. Last year things got pushed back a bit by the lockout but he has already extended 5 players whose contracts were expiring this year (Kyle, Fitz, Pears, Sanborn, Lindell). He'll deal with Jackson, Byrd, and Levitre in the summer.

Agreed. they have more immediate contract expiration problems. fred's deal will be dealt with in time. he's on the wrong side of 30, so don't look for a long term blockbuster deal, especially with Spiller around.

Where do i start??

"I agree Fred is a better all around RB when it comes to things like experience and pass blocking but the guy is 31 and about 7 years older than Spiller." - Who cares if he is better? He is older!

"CJ had almost exactly the same yards per carry as Fred"

- Amost!

"Had a respectable yards per catch close to Freddie"

-Not equal but pretty gosh darn CLOSE i tell you!

"and for the big one....HE SCORED MORE TDS PER TOUCH THAN FREDDIE!!"

-the clincher!!

Fred Jackson = starter

Cj Spiller= a hell of a player and one of the best backups in the NFL

Edited by Danny

I've been wrong before on Losman, KW and probably others. I've admitted that freely. There would be a lot less useless BS on this forum if others could do the same.

If I thought I was wrong I would admit it. Like I said previously, Spiller did improve in some ways towards the end of the season, and I do not believe I have ever called him a bust (yet). But he still has a long way to go in my opinion. I hope he gets there, we will see. I still don't see him as a every down back however. He simply lacks the power at least so far. Of course just my opinion. Yours obviously differs.