Falcons at saints game thread

truth on hold

You are failing to see that a trade of that magnitude was made with the intention of getting the Falcons to the SB. It wasn't made for the future, it was made for now...this season (and I'll give you the next 2). Unless the Falcons are able to turn it on and get to the SB as of now the trade did not get them where they wanted to be when they made the move.

On a separate note...some Falcons upset that the record was set so late in a lopsided game.

I knew they'd complain but I love the call to go for it. This team has a great chemistry and they all wanted to go get it for drew on Monday night football. Sure it was about getting a record but I think the players wanted to go get it for their leader on a national stage. It's like playing starters in week 17 to go undefeated when you have playoff seeding wrapped up. Sometimes you have to give your players special moments and this was one of them.

The moment was amazing. Especially being on a touchdown so there could be a moment of appreciation.

I know that no one wants to be on the wrong side of that moment, but as a fan of the game - I think it's still special to see.... Even if it's not your team having those moments.

Edited by NoSaint

I knew they'd complain but I love the call to go for it. This team has a great chemistry and they all wanted to go get it for drew on Monday night football. Sure it was about getting a record but I think the players wanted to go get it for their leader on a national stage. It's like playing starters in week 17 to go undefeated when you have playoff seeding wrapped up. Sometimes you have to give your players special moments and this was one of them.

The moment was amazing. Especially being on a touchdown so there could be a moment of appreciation.

I know that no one wants to be on the wrong side of that moment, but as a fan of the game - I think it's still special to see.... Even if it's not your team having those moments.

If they were so against it, they should have made a defensive stop. They did have a say in the outcome, did they not?

Julio jones is a stud. Looks like falcons bold move will work out. On pace for 1,000 yards and 7 TDs in rookie season.

I'll go back to this. What do these #'s do for the TEAM? Terriffic WR? No doubt, but not what they need to accomplish the ultimate goal. Their philoshophy seems skewed. They want to outscore the Saints. That hasn't worked in the two games thus far and won't happen should they meet again.

Want to beat the Brady's , Manning's, Rodgers, Bree's of the world? Get in their face...defensively. The Falcons had a good offense before Jones. Perhaps more defensive help would have been a more prudent call.

It's difficult to beat the Saints at their own game.

The trade to get Jones was ill-advised as I see it.

You're Judging the trade for a rookie in year 1 against performance versus 1 team? Wtf!! How do you saints aren't improved? Brees #'s would support that. Falcons lost in the wildcard round last year. This year they will most likely play in wildcard round again. If they advance that would be a better performance than last year. Browns however are likely to finish with a worse record than last year with no playoff appearance. By the criteria you introduced browns will likely have lost on the trade and falcons may have made out.

Firstly I'm not finished judging the trade… it's way too early as the trade hasn't even been completed yet (the Browns still have 2 more draft picks to use).

Only an idiot would make a final pronouncement.

But the fact that you keep changing your argument in defense of the Falcons side is very telling.

Again, the Falcons have regressed since pulling off the trade (13 wins last year, 9 wins this year).

In addition the Falcons gave up 5 draft picks for Jones… a 1st, 2nd, and 4th last year and a 1st and 4th in 2012.

Your statement that the trade looks like it'll work out for the Falcons may ultimately prove correct years from now but it has zero basis at this time.

So far the Falcons have given up a boatload of draft picks and there record has gotten substantially worse.

And again, I think Jones looks excellent… this is not a slam on the player.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Not changing it all. You're the one who brought up browns picks and team records as the judge. So using your logic browns - non playoff team last year and even worst record this - lost out. My op was "looks like" which is hardly definitive. Unlike the posts definitely slamming the trade which you responded positively too. And you've conveniently failed to acknowledge re-emergence of saints this year. How about falcons could be out of playoffs without added production from jones? So again wtf!!!

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Julio jones is a stud. Looks like falcons bold move will work out. On pace for 1,000 yards and 7 TDs in rookie season.

Joe, this is your original post.

What we're debating is your comment that "the Falcons bold move will work out."

That's far from being a statement that can be embraced as a true fact. In fact it's a hotly debated topic in some places.

As I said, Julio Jones looks great and it's early.

IMO, we can't definitively judge the trade because the Browns still have two more draft picks coming.

I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way but I think you're way early on your assessment of the trade.

Here's one take in the aftermath of the trade:

"Let's cut right to the chase: Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff and coach Mike Smith, who just got contract extensions, went out on a big limb on this one. The extensions seemingly give Dimitroff and Smith job security and that may well be true.

But they made a "win-now'' move on this one. This is the kind of move that could end up looking disastrous in a couple years if Jones doesn't work out well or if the Falcons somehow take a step back.

They're not going to have the draft picks to make any quick fix next year.

The Falcons haven't won a playoff game since Smith, Dimitroff and Ryan have been around. This is the kind of move that's made when you sense you're one player away from winning multiple playoff games or even a Super Bowl."

http://espn.go.com/b...for-julio-jones

Kudos to Dimitroff and Smith in making this move. It was bold and ballsy… an aggressive move by a well-run organization.

We'll see how it turns out in a few years.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I thought it was a fairly innocent comment to get a thread started. I had no idea would result in a scuffle. I only engaged people because sometimes I think those who hang on every little thing and turn threads into feuds need to be put in their place (not saying I put you in that camp.)

To embellish upon my initial post given the challenges, I'd say if they landed a stud WR who delivers several seasons of approx. 1,000 yards and 10 TDs, they did right by themselves versus the unknown of draft picks (who knows better than Bills fans how unfruitful that can be.) Judging JJ's rookie season I'd repeat "looks like Falcons bold move will work out." I too was skeptical at draft day because I thought he had suspect hands, his measurables were beyond challenge. But from what Ive seen of him this year and how he's progressing I'd say he's proving my suspicion unfounded. Although their record may be worse, they seem more potent as a team to me with him. If anyone wants to attach further conditions to justify his trade, they may, but that's how I view it.

Anyway, hope you had a good Holiday.

:beer:

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

They had no deep vertical threat and were predictable. Went no where in playoffs last year. Jones #'s as a rookie point to a good trade

So the offense is more diversified, granted. The team will not advance as presently con stituted. I love the player (Julio Jones), it just seems that when you're constructing a team to combat a perrenial winner, a SB champ, a team with one of those once in a generation QB's, you do all you can do to battle their strength.

We've all seen the likes of Brady, Manning, etc look awfully mortal when you construct a defensive gameplan designed to rock their comfort level. That's the approach the Falcon's should adhere to instead of beating the master at his plan. Not likely gonna work.

Just my opinion, Joe 6.

Happy New Year!

how is our excellent UDFA gem Mr. Jabari Greer looking? Good thing we developed this talent for the Saints, that is what the minor leagues are for! He was essentially called up to the Game when the Bills let him go.

Yeh, but we would have had to give him a raise to keep him. How many stud players do you expect us to keep at those inflated salaries? We don't have any? Oh!