Chan's offensive Choice s this season

bowery4

I am lost as to why you gave up on Brad Smith in the shotgun on short yardage?

This is really infuriating. Brad Smith seems to have a knack for finding a soft spot in the line and getting short yardage. He knows how to follow blocks from Corey Mac. On 20 rushing attempts he has 7 first downs and 1 touchdown. What is really special about these stats is that these were all obvious short yardage, running situations. Somewhere along this season, Chan stopped using wildcat and started calling deep passes on 3rd and short and we all know how those worked out. Half of them were incomplete, the other half were INTs. I'm also perplexed as to why Chan calls deep passes on short yardage plays but usually calls short passes on 3rd and long????

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chans offense was figured out by other D-coordinators, as many have previously pointed out, before the major injuries.

He was not able to make any adjustments. Or refused to do so.

I disagree, actually. The Bills went into the tank offensively when their opponents changed, which has gone unmentioned here. The Bengals actually did a pretty good job against them, and they were the first quality D the Bills played. (The Chiefs' D isn't that bad, but that game got out of hand very early because of Chief offensive and ST breakdowns.) The Raiders have talent, but as the season has shown, have so many secondary breakdowns that they seem to always let teams get back in the game. The Pats and Eagles' defenses were bad. The Skins actually played reasonably well between the 20s early on, but had a couple of bad breakdowns in the red zone. After that, the level of competition rose. The Jets shut the Bills down in the first game, and the Phins (as we all know too well) have a talented D whose front seven just overwhelms the Bills. The Chargers and Cowboys games got out of hand quickly, so I don't really count them. Yes, the offense played very badly, but that happens over the course of a 16 game season to most every team. I thought that the offense played well and had good gameplans vs. the Jets in the second game and against Denver. I also think that they were robbed vs. TN because of the weak holding call on McIntyre, which really did alter the game and the gameplanning. I also thought that Gailey called a very good game against the Giants, a game they should have won. They attacked their weak secondary with the right plays and Jackson had huge holes to run through. However, Fitz made a couple of very bad throws to open receipvers, and it killed them. It happens. It wasn't the the coach's fault though.

My larger point is that the Bills don't operate in a vacuum. Their opponents actually do vary in quality from week to week.

At the end of the day, I've gotta conclude that their offensive record is what it says it is: 14th best in the league (in both yards and points), making it slightly better than average. Given that the Bills haven't finished higher than 24th since 2002, i'd say that's real progress. The problem is defense, but they do have some good players now at least. Hopefully they can add a good pass rusher to the core, and hopefully Merriman can play at a moderately high level for them next year (that is, if they keep him). If that happens, they'll be in pretty decent shape.

On an unrelated note, I suspect that they'll let Johnson walk (although I hope not) because there is going to be a pretty rich FA crop of big WRs this year. We'll see.

Good thread, btw.

Edited by dave mcbride

I disagree, actually. The Bills went into the tank offensively when their opponents changed, which has gone unmentioned here. The Bengals actually did a pretty good job against them, and they were the first quality D the Bills played. (The Chiefs' D isn't that bad, but that game got out of hand very early because of Chief offensive and ST breakdowns.) The Raiders have talent, but as the season has shown, have so many secondary breakdowns that they seem to always let teams get back in the game. The Pats and Eagles' defenses were bad. The Skins actually played reasonably well between the 20s early on, but had a couple of bad breakdowns in the red zone. After that, the level of competition rose. The Jets shut the Bills down in the first game, and the Phins (as we all know too well) have a talented D whose front seven just overwhelms the Bills. The Chargers and Cowboys games got out of hand quickly, so I don't really count them. Yes, the offense played very badly, but that happens over the course of a 16 game season to most every team. I thought that the offense played well and had good gameplans vs. the Jets in the second game and against Denver. I also think that they were robbed vs. TN because of the weak holding call on McIntyre, which really did alter the game and the gameplanning. I also thought that Gailey called a very good game against the Giants, a game they should have won. They attacked their weak secondary with the right plays and Jackson had huge holes to run through. However, Fitz made a couple of very bad throws to open receipvers, and it killed them. It happens. It wasn't the the coach's fault though.

My larger point is that the Bills don't operate in a vacuum. Their opponents actually do vary in quality from week to week.

At the end of the day, I've gotta conclude that their offensive record is what it says it is: 14th best in the league (in both yards and points), making it slightly better than average. Given that the Bills haven't finished higher than 24th since 2002, i'd say that's real progress. The problem is defense, but they do have some good players now at least. Hopefully they can add a good pass rusher to the core, and hopefully Merriman can play at a moderately high level for them next year (that is, if they keep him). If that happens, they'll be in pretty decent shape.

On an unrelated note, I suspect that they'll let Johnson walk (although I hope not) because there is going to be a pretty rich FA crop of big WRs this year. We'll see.

Good thread, btw.

Of course teams face different players and different styles of defenses every week, but that doesn't really explain the 7 game losing streak. Oh yea, Injuries, mistakes, players not doing their jobs... blah blah blah

After week 5 the Bills had the leading rusher in the NFL, the passing offense was gaining loads of yards, and scoring loads of points. At that time the Buffalo Bills were in the top 5 for offense.

Then in week 9 against the NY Jets the wheels came off, they were 5 & 2 up until that point. The Jets beat the Bills down physically and completely demoralized them, talking trash and telling them they sucked and were backups, basically like the back yard bully pinning them on the ground and rubbing their nose in dog poop. The team just wasn't the same after that game.

The next two games were complete blowouts by the (on the edge of being a bad teams) Cowboys 44-7 & Dolphins 35-8. Suddenly the offense went into the tank and became just as bad as the defense.

Now you can actually blame an injury on the decline of the team in this instance, they lost their (should have been pro bowler this year) Center in Eric Wood. Now, looking back at the start of the season I'll wager if Nix/Gailey had it to do over they keep back up Geoff Hangartner instead of cutting him. The result of not having an adequate back up center basically devastated the O line for pass blocking.

Still, against the Dolphins Freddy Jackson was tearing it up, he had a 8.7 YPC average and basically couldn't be stopped by the Cowboys. Chan Gailey forgetting that the running game is just as important as the passing game. Gailey went spread-shotgun for most of the game trying to play catchup.

Such a long season I'll bet that Gailey forgot this play that sparked the Bills to beat the Raiders in week 2, Oakland was up 21-3 and Freddy made a 43 yard TD run that sparked the team on to a 38-35 win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AObIj4mkNOc

The Bills could have and should have beaten the Cowboys, the Dolphins, the Titans, the Jets in the second game. The problem is that Gailey has his head so far up his ass that he can't stop calling shotgun passing plays once his team is down by 7 points. He stops calling run plays even when the RB is doing well. Opposing defenses don't need to be great to beat the Buffalo Bills, all they need is a 7 point lead and Chan Gailey will win the game for them!

Of course teams face different players and different styles of defenses every week, but that doesn't really explain the 7 game losing streak. Oh yea, Injuries, mistakes, players not doing their jobs... blah blah blah

After week 5 the Bills had the leading rusher in the NFL, the passing offense was gaining loads of yards, and scoring loads of points. At that time the Buffalo Bills were in the top 5 for offense.

Then in week 9 against the NY Jets the wheels came off, they were 5 & 2 up until that point. The Jets beat the Bills down physically and completely demoralized them, talking trash and telling them they sucked and were backups, basically like the back yard bully pinning them on the ground and rubbing their nose in dog poop. The team just wasn't the same after that game.

The next two games were complete blowouts by the (on the edge of being a bad teams) Cowboys 44-7 & Dolphins 35-8. Suddenly the offense went into the tank and became just as bad as the defense.

Now you can actually blame an injury on the decline of the team in this instance, they lost their (should have been pro bowler this year) Center in Eric Wood. Now, looking back at the start of the season I'll wager if Nix/Gailey had it to do over they keep back up Geoff Hangartner instead of cutting him. The result of not having an adequate back up center basically devastated the O line for pass blocking.

Still, against the Dolphins Freddy Jackson was tearing it up, he had a 8.7 YPC average and basically couldn't be stopped by the Cowboys. Chan Gailey forgetting that the running game is just as important as the passing game. Gailey went spread-shotgun for most of the game trying to play catchup.

Such a long season I'll bet that Gailey forgot this play that sparked the Bills to beat the Raiders in week 2, Oakland was up 21-3 and Freddy made a 43 yard TD run that sparked the team on to a 38-35 win.

youtube.com/watch?v=AObIj4mkNOc

The Bills could have and should have beaten the Cowboys, the Dolphins, the Titans, the Jets in the second game. The problem is that Gailey has his head so far up his ass that he can't stop calling shotgun passing plays once his team is down by 7 points. He stops calling run plays even when the RB is doing well. Opposing defenses don't need to be great to beat the Buffalo Bills, all they need is a 7 point lead and Chan Gailey will win the game for them!

I really can't believe thst anyon could blame the bills' offensive plan for the cowboys loss. That's just wrong.

I love youth coaches who think they can coach on the pro-level. I watch the Patriots play and can call most of their plays from My couch too.

I HATE 5 wide sets in short yardage and goal line sets.

Especially when you run the ball to get into those situations.

I HATE the Wildcat when I formation is working!!!

I hate the fact that I can call the play from my couch b4 it happens!!!

Now I am not an NFL HC, in fact, I coach youth league sports. My team did win the championship this year though (Chesapeake Tigers Mitey Mite) Hampton Roads Champs!!!

Now the sad part is...I ran a very similar offense to what Chan runs!!!

The diffence...I coach 8-9yr olds, and put the QB under center almost always so we could use play action!!!

Chan should fire himself as he is in over his head, I would love to compete against him on the AYF scene...Seems he may be best suited there!!!!!

I really can't believe that anyone could blame the bills' offensive plan for the cowboys loss. That's just wrong.

Really? You didn't watch the youtube clip? The Bills were down 21-3 against the Raiders in week 2, and Chan ran Freddy for a big gainer 43 yd TD run, the frenzy after that play sparked the entire offense to play better.

The Cowboys had 4 offensive TD's in the first half, 28-7, but then went punt -FG -FG -FG the second half.

so in the Cowboy game where Freddy is killing them with an 8.7 YPC average, Chan stops running the ball and just calls shotgun passing plays. Shotgun-shotgun-shotgun-punt. How many times do I need to see that before I start thinking this HC is a boob

look at the drive charts from that Cowboy game, once the 2nd half started The Cowboy defense went into a prevent and allowed Fitz to lead the Bills right down to the Cowboys 17 yard line. where Chan called pass,pass, pass, pass. 4th down pass incomplete so the Cowboys take over on their own 17.

Freddy went off LT for a 19 yard run in that series, but when down in the red zone all gailey can think of is passing the ball. Shotgun 3x, punt. Shotgun INT

Drive chart

Punt

Missed FG

TD

Punt

2nd half

Downs

Punt

INT

Fumble

INT

INT

Downs series.

1-10-BUF17

(14:59) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete deep right to C.Spiller [D.Ware]. PENALTY on DAL-D.Ware, Roughing the Passer, 15 yards, enforced at BUF 17 - No Play. Pass incomplete on a "Go" route; incomplete at the Dallas 40 yard line.

1-10-BUF32(14:52) F.Jackson left guard to BUF 45 for 13 yards (S.Lee).

1-10-BUF45(14:11) (Shotgun) F.Jackson left end to BUF 47 for 2 yards (S.Lee; K.Brooking).

2-8-BUF47(13:21) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short right [O.Scandrick].

3-8-BUF47(13:12) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short left to D.Jones to DAL 44 for 9 yards (A.Ball). Pass complete on a curl route.

1-10-DAL44(12:36) F.Jackson left tackle to DAL 25 for 19 yards (A.Spencer)

.1-10-DAL25(11:57) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick scrambles up the middle to DAL 20 for 5 yards (K.Brooking).

2-5-DAL20(11:19) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short left to F.Jackson to DAL 23 for -3 yards (D.McCray).

Screen pass3-8-DAL23(10:34) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short middle to St.Johnson to DAL 17 for 6 yards (G.Sensabaugh). Pass complete on a quick slant4-2-DAL17(9:51)

(Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete deep right to D.Jones. Pass incomplete right corner of the end zone; Ball closest defender.

Read the full play by play and draw your own conclusions

http://www.cbssports...0111113_BUF@DAL

This game was just as winnable as that Raider game