8.9 is a helluva big quake

_BiB_

boy did i get in on this thread late...

my father seems to have got out just in time along with a whole conference of earthquake engineering researchers as there was an earthquake conference in thailand last week :blink:

he's perfectly safe now, but i can't get him on the phone to talk about it now as he has alot of work to do now

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some dear friends in Chennai (Madras) who live right by the water. I have not been able to get a hold of them and am really worried. Please keep them in your thoughts/prayers.

This is a real disaster that is affecting real people. Let's hope that as many people are helped as possible, in every way possible.

Death toll at 44,000 now.  Damn.

181738[/snapback]

Actually, at 50k now. Apparently, entire towns on the western shore of Sumatra are just gone, including one of 10k people.

The economies of the region are going to take years, if not decades, to recover from this.

I forgot my friend from high school went to Phuket for Christmas

quite a narrow escape for him and his family

from his blog

Sunday, December 26, 2004

7:47 AM

So today my family and I went out on a boat to visit Phiphi island, a tourist spot off the coast of Phuket. After an hour boat ride, we arrived but couldn't land because of turbulent waves, supposedly caused by some earthquake. We didn't think much of it...although there was debris around the coast and the place looked a little run down, it didn't look like there had been a lot of damage. If anything, we were more concerned that we had wasted an hour riding out there and would now have to turn back. It turns out that Phiphi island had been wiped out by an earthquake in Indonesia, resulting in over 200 people killed on the island itself and scores dead or missing on the main island of Phuket. Apparently the tidal waves hit both islands while we were on route to Phiphi...as we arrived back in Phuket I saw an ugly scene of capsized boats and wrecked piers. If the waves hit as we were leaving Phuket or while we were on Phiphi, we could have been wiped out. Instead, we were hardly affected since we were out at sea at the time, too far out for tidal waves to form. What timing. People on the beach of Phuket were swept away...the beachside restaurant where we ate xmas eve dinner isn't there anymore. Anyway, we ended up having to wait four hours to get home because roads were flooded...a small price to pay for narrowly escaping death. Thank you God for looking out for my family and I.

I have some dear friends in Chennai (Madras) who live right by the water.  I have not been able to get a hold of them and am really worried.  Please keep them in your thoughts/prayers.

This is a real disaster that is affecting real people.  Let's hope that as many people are helped as possible, in every way possible.

181661[/snapback]

Any news on your friends yet?

Over 80,000 now.

183663[/snapback]

It'll go over 100k before long. The Indonesians just got to the city of Meubolah overnight...so far, it sounds like they're finding far more bodies than survivors. And that was a city of 30k people.

By my count (which is: totalling all the reports from the different countries myself), the overall body count seems to be more in the 85k range, with a total toll of closer to 110k. An unbelievable disaster...I thought this many people died only in earthquakes in 17th century China or such...

It'll go over 100k before long.  The Indonesians just got to the city of Meubolah overnight...so far, it sounds like they're finding far more bodies than survivors.  And that was a city of 30k people. 

By my count (which is: totalling all the reports from the different countries myself), the overall body count seems to be more in the 85k range, with a total toll of closer to 110k.  An unbelievable disaster...I thought this many people died only in earthquakes in 17th century China or such...

183675[/snapback]

How much aid did Bush send them? ;) I am sure it's the governments fault.

• 3 weeks later...

To all who inquired, I was relieved to finally hear from my friends in Chennai after three weeks of trying to reach them. They are all OK thanks to a breakwall that was constructed last year, thank God. They said the damage to the city was pretty intense, but relief efforts are evident and moving forward. My wife and I will hopefully be seeing them next year. It will be interesting to see how much has changed due both to the damage and the reconstruction.

Thanks to all who kept them, and others like them, in their thoughts. It has been truly amazing to witness the humanitarian response and see how good people can be to each other in times of need. For all the terrible things we read about, and for all of our differences, it is good to see how much this has brought people together.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

J.