A DaveInElma Thread...but much better than he can do it

Again, I'll oblige you...

MUCH of the great music, art, theatre of the 20th century is a direct result of urban culture and urban experience. Jazz, Blues, Rock and Roll, Hip Hop is all the result of urbanites, in largely depressed economic communities, reflecting on their experience and expressing it artistically through the conduit of music.

I'll say again, Jazz, Blues, Rock and Roll, and Hip Hop at its core and genesis, is a reflection of urban culture.

Wanna argue the creative, financial, aesthetic impact of these musical genres? Will you argue against their significance artistically, societally, or otherwise? We're now talking about global import. In a more attenuated way, the genres mentioned above impacted the development and evolution of pop - which, in combination with neo-country music, dominates the population of music listeners.

No significance? No contribution? No redeeming value?

At let's discuss "hip hop," or "rap" music. You trivialized it with your "slap the _____ up" characterization. But does that really encapsulate rap music?

The rap industry generates billions of dollars for record companies and artists annually. Billions. This is an industry that originated from the streets. Anything legal that originates from a culture, and can be continually ascribed to a culture, that generates billions in revenue and employs hundreds of thousands of people world-wide, is per se relevant, meaningful, significant, valuable and impactful.

Now on to the artistry:

At its core, rap music is an art form that requires an understanding of rhythm, cadence, syntax, and vocabulary in order to tell an esoteric urban story in such a way that the listener can understand through a strategic use of metaphors and other literary devices. This endeavor is made more difficult because there is a rhyming scheme that must be adhered to, and a point communicated, that holds the listeners attention. Two examples - both salacious, and onery at first blush:

Little Wayne - "6 foot 7 foot"

"Excuse my charisma, vodka with a spritzer

swagger down pat, call my **** Patricia

Young Money militia, and I am the commissioner

you don't want start Weezy, 'cause the F is for Finisher

So misunderstood, but what's a World without enigma?

two bitches at the same time, synchronized swimmers

got the girl twisted 'cause she open when you twist her

never met the B word, but I f-ck her like I missed her

Life is the B word, and death is her sister

sleep is the cousin, what a f-ckin' family picture

you know father time, we all know mother nature

it's all in the family, but I am of no relation

no matter who's buying, I'm a celebration

black and white diamonds, f-ck segregation"

At first blush, the subject matter is odious, rude, and appears to contain no redeeming social value. But not so. If you read it, it's entertaining. It flows. It tells a story. There are double entendres, metaphors, and a continual rhyme scheme throughout the verse. There are three levels of inter-relation.

It's poetry, but not in any conventional sense. The next example will highlight this principle, and the dichomoty, better.

Biggie Smalls

"Ni**s Bleed"

Verse 1

"Today's agenda

Got the suitcase up in the Sentra

Go to room 112, tell em Blanco sent ya

Feel the strangest

If no money exchanges

I got these kids in ranges

Believe them niggas brainless

All they tote is stainless

You just remain as

Calm as possible, make the deal go thru

If not, here's 12 shots, we know how you do

Please make yo killins clean

Slugs up in between

They eyes, like True Lies

Kill em and flee the scene

Just bring back the coke or the cream

Or else, yo life is on the shelf

We mean this Frank

Them cats we !@#$in wit put bombs in yo moms gas tank

Lets get this money baby

They shady, we get shady

Dress up like ladies

And burn em with 30 380's

Then they come to kill our babies

That all out

I got gats that blow the wall out

Clear the mall out

!@#$ the fallout

Word is Stretch, I bet they kitty

The seven digits push me

!@#$in real

Here's the deal

I got a hundred bricks, 14-5 a piece

Enough to rooster a six by the house on the beach

Supply the peeps with Jeeps

Brick a piece

Capiche?

Everybody gettin cream

No one considered the leech

Think about it now, thats damn near 1 point 5

I kill em all I'll be set for life

Frank pay attention

These mutha!@#$as is henchmen

Renegades, if you die they still get paid

Extra probably, !@#$ the robbery

I'm the boss

Promise you won't rob em, I promise

But of course you know I had my fingers crossed

Verse 2

Since it's on, I call my nigga Arizona Ron

From Tuscon, push the black Yukon

Usually has the slow grooves on

Mostly rock the Isley

Stupid as a youngin, chose not to move wisely

Sharper with game, him and his crooks, caught a ?jooks?

Heard it was sweet, bout 350 a piece

Ron bought a truck, 2 bricks layed in the cut

His peeps got bucked, got locked the !@#$ up

Thats when Rob vanished, came back, speakin spanish

Lavish habits, two rings, 20 carats

Heres a criminal

Nigga made America's Most

Killed his baby's mother's brother, slit his throat

The nigga got bagged with the toast, weeded

Took it to trial, beat it

Now he feel he undefeated

He mean it

Nothing To Lose, tattooed around his gun wounds

Heavy in the game, embedded in his brain

And me I feel the same for this money and diamonds

Specially if my daughter cryin, I ain't lyin

Y'all know the signs

Verse 3

We agreed to shoot till we silly

Because niggas could be hidin in showers with Mac Billy's

So I freaked em

The telly manager was Puerto Rican

Gloria, from Historia, I went to war with her

Peeps in 91, stole a gun from her workers

And they took drugs, they tried to jerk us

We blaze they place, long story

Glo seent my face, got shook

Thought a nigga was comin for the safe

Now she breakin, shut up, 112, whats shakin

A jamaican, some bitches I swear

They look gay

In a black Range Rover

Been outside all day

If its trouble let me know, I'll be on my way

Please I got kids to feed, I done seen you make niggas bleed

Nightmare, this B word don't leave

Ron, get the gasoline

This spot, we bout to blow

Lets get the cash before the cops and Range Rover cats notice

Its room 112

Right by the staircase, perfect place

When they evacuate, they meet they fate

Ron pass the gasoline

The nigga gave me kerosene

!@#$ it, its flammable

My hunger is unexplainable

Strike the match, just what I expected

The dred kid ejected in seconds

And here come two

Opposite sexes

One black, one Malaysian

We in the hallway waitin patient

As soon as she hit the door we start blastin

I saw her brains hit the floor

Ron laughin

I swear to God

I hit MaxiPriest at least 12 times in the chest

Spint around, shot the chick in the breast

She cryin, headshots put her to rest

Pop open the briefcases, nothin but Franco faces

The spots hot, sprinklers, alarm systems

Thats when other guests start to slip in

Its time for us to get to dippin

I know them niggas in the Range is on they way up

Flippin, pistol grippin

I know they clippin

The hallway, got real loud and crowded

They walked right past us

I dont know how they allowed it

The funny thing about it

Through all the excitement

They Range got towed, they double parked by a hydrant

Stupid mother!@#$ers"

Again, it's onery, pretentious, violent, odious...at first blush. But it's UNDENIABLY poetry. It's a narrative. Biggie is telling a story. It's no different than "Goodfellas," or "Scarface," or "Godfather," only without the visual component. The gentleman provided a window into his world. He told a story. There was exposition. There was rising action. There was Denouement. There was a conclusion.

This is not artistically devoid. There is redeeming social value. There is a level of skill and proficiency required to write a good story, replete with humor, angst, drama, action, plot, and character introduction/discussion.

And his story was told in 4 minutes, set to rhythm and a rhyme scheme for ease of digestion.

Now there is some rap that is loud, obnoxious, crap that doesn't tell a story, isn't narrative, and contains almost no words. But there are some early Metallica songs that fit that description as well.

Rap is yet another valuable thing that originates from urban culture.

I am fan of Biggie, and I am huge Metallica fan. But, I suffer from no delusions: nobody will care about Biggie or Metallica in 10 years, nobody will remember either in 50.

I'm not deluding myself into seeing artistic value in what amounts to kitsch, so I can appear "urbane" and "erudite". :lol: You sound like a grown up suburban teenager, who's trying to defend his buying all those NWA tapes back in the 80s, by now attributing the trappings of the bard to them. It's ridiculous. :lol: Dude, you cannot see the scam, because you are patently NOT a city person. And, these guys have been scamming you for so long, that now you are psychologically committed to it.

Let me make it plain for you: if you suck and have no money, no real athletic or musical talent, and the best thing you can aspire to is having your own corner some day, that sucks. Especially when you know there are other kids who are doing things right this minute that are going to get them money, that you can't even comprehend. So, the only choice is to convince people that no, in fact, your life rocks, and theirs sucks. Your situation is cool, and theirs is weak. Then, you put together some beats and you go out and cut a 16 track infomercial describing how cool your situation is, and of course, how cool you are. Meanwhile, the kids in the suburbs, who are bored, because let's face it, the American dream of their parents is, ultimately, boring, hear your infomercial, and, being kids, say to themselves "hey, that's sounds cool". A perfect product for a perfect market.

Get it? It's a scam. The fact is that most urban kids who are living in bad situations would do anything to get out. There are lots of ways out: the Army, Sports, etc. But, if you are a kid who has a lot of raw marketing talent, rap is the way to go. And, if they can feel better about themselves along the way, that's a bonus. But do not delude yourself, you are buying those steak knives, with the bonus sharpener, for $19.95 every time.

In contrast, Miles Davis, or Muddy Waters/Willie Dixon, who can all claim to be as badass as any rapper, if not more, stand a good chance to last. Why? Because they were original, and, what they did actually requires talent above that of a Vaudevillian.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaaaa! Somebody else is getting attention! :lol:

Hehehe. You are done. Yes, "the system" is what I am worried about when I head to the convenient store at 3am.

In fact:

(NSFW)

youtube.com/watch?v=t7HHB3sDtfA

"Nothing makes a _____ happier than not know the answer to your question. What's the capital of Zairre? 'I don't know that schit, I'm keeping in real'. _____s love to keep it real: real dumb".

"Ted Koppel ain't never took schit from me. _____ have. Schit, you think I have 3 guns in my house cause the media outside? Oh schit Mike Wallace, Run!"

"You know what's sad man? Martin Luther King stood for non-violence. Now what's Marting Luther King? A street. And I don't give a F where you are in America, if you on MLK BLVD there's some violence going down. It ain't the safest place to be. You can't call nobody and tell them you're lost on MLK. 'I'm lost, I'm on MLK' 'RUN!' 'RUN!' RUN' The media's there!"

Chris Rock knows, why don't you?

Oh snap...you're trying to make a salient point by relying on a comedy routine. :rolleyes:

I am fan of Biggie, and I am huge Metallica fan. But, I suffer from no delusions: nobody will care about Biggie or Metallica in 10 years, nobody will remember either in 50.

I'm not deluding myself into seeing artistic value in what amounts to kitsch, so I can appear "urbane" and "erudite". :lol: You sound like a grown up suburban teenager, who's trying to defend his buying all those NWA tapes back in the 80s, by now attributing the trappings of the bard to them. It's ridiculous. :lol: Dude, you cannot see the scam, because you are patently NOT a city person. And, these guys have been scamming you for so long, that now you are psychologically committed to it.

Let me make it plain for you: if you suck and have no money, no real athletic or musical talent, and the best thing you can aspire to is having your own corner some day, that sucks. Especially when you know there are other kids who are doing things right this minute that are going to get them money, that you can't even comprehend. So, the only choice is to convince people that no, in fact, your life rocks, and theirs sucks. Your situation is cool, and theirs is weak. Then, you put together some beats and you go out and cut a 16 track infomercial describing how cool your situation is, and of course, how cool you are. Meanwhile, the kids in the suburbs, who are bored, because let's face it, the American dream of their parents is, ultimately, boring, hear your infomercial, and, being kids, say to themselves "hey, that's sounds cool". A perfect product for a perfect market.

Get it? It's a scam. The fact is that most urban kids who are living in bad situations would do anything to get out. There are lots of ways out: the Army, Sports, etc. But, if you are a kid who has a lot of raw marketing talent, rap is the way to go. And, if they can feel better about themselves along the way, that's a bonus. But do not delude yourself, you are buying those steak knives, with the bonus sharpener, for $19.95 every time.

In contrast, Miles Davis, or Muddy Waters/Willie Dixon, who can all claim to be as badass as any rapper, if not more, stand a good chance to last. Why? Because they were original, and, what they did actually requires talent above that of a Vaudevillian.

A lot of good points here. And glad you're a fan of Biggie. It's sad how so many dismiss all rap as trash. Much of it is. A lot of it though, is poignant story-telling. If you see rap for what it is, and not try to compare it with Hendrix, Brubeck, Clapton, The Stones, Celine Dion, Phish, or whomever, it can be like listening to dramatic lyrical mini-series.

But to some it will always be black folks, jumping around with their pants hanging down, talking in ebonics, over unconscionably bad noise (incidentally, that description reminds me of the dispute in an old property law 'nuissance or interference with the enjoyment of land' case where the guy complains of "noxious odors" coming from the adjacent chicken processing plant - well !@#$ing duh...ya shouldn't have moved there!).

Contrary to the view of some stuffy prudes, not all rap is "noxious odor."

The "rap is a huge infomercial" thing is interesting and, methinks, largely correct. Incidentally, about 10 years ago, when Cash Money, and those cats were getting big, I had a conversation with some friends and essentially opined the same thing....only not as nihilistically.

I watched a BET interview with a then unknown and new-to-the-game artist, Juvenile (formerly of Cash Money) while he was in the Magnolia Projects wearing jeans in a t-shirt and some plain athletic shoes. The interview concerned his new video and album.

In the video that debuted subsequent to the interview, he was flashing a somewhat pedestrian chain, and driving around in purple Plymouth Prowlers. I noticed that within a year of that video, his video were replete with cash being thrown in the air, Bentleys, Lambos, and a multitude of orchidaceous chains.

It was then that I posited my theory that hip hop artists begin by showing you what they were advanced by the record company (because it represents an escape from traditional notions of "career path). The audience likes what they're shown so they buy records, download songs, ringtones, etc. The artists responds by buying more jewelry, better vehicles, and showing more money.

The audience, captivated by the lavish lifestyle, then buys more albums so the artist can purchase more lavish things and show the audience what they just purchased for him. It's a weird form of vicariousness...that even admits itself physiologically.

The artists are literally saying: "LOOK WHAT YOU BOUGHT FOR ME. I CAN TAKE THIS A STEP FURTHER IF YOU RESPOND TO THIS UNVEILING OF MATERIAL POSSESSIONS BY BUYING THIS NEW ALBUM."

And it continues in that cyclical way ad absurdum.

But how is it different then reality tv? Or Hollywood cinema? or Politicians? or the GI Bill? Why is it that the thespian is revered and the rapper is reviled? Both hope that the audience willingly suspends their disbelief long enough to buy into the narrative. Both are actors. Both discuss the implausible as if it were the commonplace and benefit financially because they have an audience for it. Why is that a scam? And doesn't it speak less to the snake charmer and more to the charmed?

Isn't it simply a different approach to what people have yearned for for centuries...to be entertained and to get lost in a story.

Edited by Juror#8

I was listening to the Neal Boortz Show this morning. A caller told a story about a black cop and a black kid that he had arrested. During the arrest the kid called the cop a mother !@#$er. He was additionally charged with something like disorderly conduct for calling the cop a mother !@#$er. The judge threw that out stating that calling someone a mother !@#$er was a cultural thing amongst blacks, and the kid could be excused for it. When the cop was leaving the courtroom the judge asked him if he was upset over the verdict. The cop replied "No sir, you mother !@#$er". I don't know if the story is true or not, but it's funny enough to relay it and this is the closest thread to put it in without resurrecting the Urban Youth thread.

Oh snap...you're trying to make a salient point by relying on a comedy routine. :rolleyes:

You posted song lyrics. I responded with a comedy routine. Not only is it salient, it's entirely appropriate.

Again, the "system" and the "media" is not who I am looking out for at 3am. The behavior of some idiot? Yes, that's what I am looking for, and if you think idiot only applies to black people, you're nuts. Do you think I'd be OK with getting mugged, as long as it was a white guy? Nope.

A lot of good points here. And glad you're a fan of Biggie. It's sad how so many dismiss all rap as trash. Much of it is. A lot of it though, is poignant story-telling. If you see rap for what it is, and not try to compare it with Hendrix, Brubeck, Clapton, The Stones, Celine Dion, Phish, or whomever, it can be like listening to dramatic lyrical mini-series.

But to some it will always be black folks, jumping around with their pants hanging down, talking in ebonics, over unconscionably bad noise (incidentally, that description reminds me of the dispute in an old property law 'nuissance or interference with the enjoyment of land' case where the guy complains of "noxious odors" coming from the adjacent chicken processing plant - well !@#$ing duh...ya shouldn't have moved there!).

Contrary to the view of some stuffy prudes, not all rap is "noxious odor."

The "rap is a huge infomercial" thing is interesting and, methinks, largely correct. Incidentally, about 10 years ago, when Cash Money, and those cats were getting big, I had a conversation with some friends and essentially opined the same thing....only not as nihilistically.

I watched a BET interview with a then unknown and new-to-the-game artist, Juvenile (formerly of Cash Money) while he was in the Magnolia Projects wearing jeans in a t-shirt and some plain athletic shoes. The interview concerned his new video and album.

In the video that debuted subsequent to the interview, he was flashing a somewhat pedestrian chain, and driving around in purple Plymouth Prowlers. I noticed that within a year of that video, his video were replete with cash being thrown in the air, Bentleys, Lambos, and a multitude of orchidaceous chains.

It was then that I posited my theory that hip hop artists begin by showing you what they were advanced by the record company (because it represents an escape from traditional notions of "career path). The audience likes what they're shown so they buy records, download songs, ringtones, etc. The artists responds by buying more jewelry, better vehicles, and showing more money.

The audience, captivated by the lavish lifestyle, then buys more albums so the artist can purchase more lavish things and show the audience what they just purchased for him. It's a weird form of vicariousness...that even admits itself physiologically.

The artists are literally saying: "LOOK WHAT YOU BOUGHT FOR ME. I CAN TAKE THIS A STEP FURTHER IF YOU RESPOND TO THIS UNVEILING OF MATERIAL POSSESSIONS BY BUYING THIS NEW ALBUM."

And it continues in that cyclical way ad absurdum.

But how is it different then reality tv? Or Hollywood cinema? or Politicians? or the GI Bill? Why is it that the thespian is revered and the rapper is reviled? Both hope that the audience willingly suspends their disbelief long enough to buy into the narrative. Both are actors. Both discuss the implausible as if it were the commonplace and benefit financially because they have an audience for it. Why is that a scam? And doesn't it speak less to the snake charmer and more to the charmed?

Isn't it simply a different approach to what people have yearned for for centuries...to be entertained and to get lost in a story.

The difference is:

Miles Davis, Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters and Motzart for that matter, would have done what they did, regardless of whether money was involved.

As such, they were: artists. An artist doesn't spend 20 minutes telling you how good his next work is going to be, sometimes in his medium itself. He may want to show you the work, but in general, he completes it, and then moves on. In stark contrast, we have rappers, who take a song, and continue to remix and sell the same thing over and over, and they even celebrate the fact that you bought it! One rapper can reissue the same song over a four year period, and live on it. Then, everybody starts covering the song and then they begin their remix campaign. :rolleyes:

This is the diametric opposite of what an artist does. An artist lets their talent do the talking, and for them their expression is the only things that matters. Now, we are sure to find ways to nitpick this, and examples where The Beatles played a song one way, and then later played it another. :rolleyes:

But the fact remains: A single Miles Davis song probably contains more talent than the last 20 #1 songs and all their inevitable remixes combined.