Buddy's "Building Through The Draft Idea"

HuSeYiN1978

I'm really not sure why so many people keep harping about getting a "stud" WR. There are so many good WRs after the first round, it's a waste to draft one then. Yes, you can get elite WRs like Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, etc. in the first round, but how much worse off are you with Greg Jennings (2nd), Hines Ward (3rd), (CAR) Steve Smith (3rd), Brandon Marshall (4th), Donald Driver (7th), Marques Colston (7th), etc.?

I say go big men early and often on both lines. Can you imagine a D-line consisting of Marcell Darius, (a healthy) Kyle Williams, and then another 1st rounder? It would hardly matter who your LBs were because the OL would be so occupied with the three down linemen that not one of them would be able to get past the first level into the LBs.

As mentioned before, it's really tough to guess who a good pass rusher would be, especially out of the 3-4. Draft them often (and not necessarily in the 1st round), and one of them will surely come out of it. Once you have that dominant front 7, the secondary will hardly matter. However, first we need someone who can actually develop players. We've been drafting defensive players like crazy the past few years, but none of them seem to develop too much. We REALLY need a good defensive coach who can provide that.

Yes, Buddy needs to make some better choices in the draft. The team has improved, but it seems to have little to do with Buddy's drafting acumen. Jackson, Fitz and Stevie are all holdovers from the prior administration. Troup and Carrington really need to step it up. In the last two years, Dareus is the only draft pick that seems to be making a difference, and he was something of a no brainer in terms of where the Bills were picking. I do think the Bills made some good moves in the last two years picking up Urbick, Rhinehart and Chandler. Not sure who was responsible for these moves, but if it is Buddy, he deserves some credit. Overall, any improvement in this year's play seems more directly related to the coaching staff and, in particular, Chan's offense.

I mostly agree but I think this year's draft was fairly good - not just Dareus, but Williams, Hairston, Sheppard were good picks. If next year is at least as good, we will be on our way. Some key FA sugnings would help though.

The problem with Buddy's "Build through the draft" plan is he must have a high percentage of hits. The 2010 draft is a disaster. Not one impact player when there were plenty there. Even if Spiller turns out to be a good football player, the rest of the draft will be completely underwhelming and will set the Bills back another year. And that's if Spiller ever sees the field! Buddy's bark has proven to be bigger than his bite.

Spiller- So good that he has 31 touches this year.

Troupe- Bust.

Carrington- Nice rotational player who will never be an impact defender.

Easley- Chronically injured. We've seen how this works out but keep telling yourself that he will be good.

Wang- BUST

Moats- Good rotational player who provides some pass rush. Liability against the run. Will never be a full time starter.

Danny Batten- Not Moats but he did beat out Maybin and Coleman soooooo....

Levi Brown- ....

Kyle Calloway- ....

PTR would have trouble defending that draft but hey, I'm no scout! :thumbsup:

Edited by John Cocktosten