Would you rather have Green and Dalton?

I'm not contributing to this thread.

.....oops I just did.

I too refuse to participate in this ridiculous discussion…

but as long as I'm here...

We take a shot at a stud receiver next year. It was imperative that the Bills needed to shore up the D this year. Dareus was completely necessary. AJ Green is a luxury pick for a team devoid of defensive stalwarts. It's the same reason why I didn't like the Spiller pick. He could end up being a dynamic back but the Bills were in no position to take a player like him.

Draft a stud receiver? There's a pretty wide range out there and that's part of the discussion. AJ Green, like Calvin Johnson is more than a stud receiver… a talent like this is not guaranteed to come out every year. That's what makes this a legit question because typically, wide receivers don't get taken in the top 10 anymore. The exceptions are guys like Green.

For instance, in the 2010 draft, the top receiver was Demaryious Thomas at 22nd overall. Partly due to injuries, he's done exactly nothing so far in his career. Dez Bryant was taken 2 picks later and was considered an elite talent but attitude problems dropped his value. Bryant shows flashes of greatness but has yet to put it all together yet.

In 2009, Darius Heyward-Bey (7th) and Michael Crabtree (10th) were the top two receivers taken. The best receivers taken from that draft so far have been Jeremy Maclin, Hakeem Nicks and Kenny Britt (19th, 29th and 30th).

My point is, you can't just pick a player like Green every year. There are (recent) draft classes which have not yielded so much as a single stud receiver.

And players as good as Green shouldn't be considered "luxury picks" because these few elite players would dramatically improve virtually every team in the league.

Time will tell.

Yep. Time will tell. It's way too early right now to be definitive. I wanted Sheard in the 2nd round but Aaron Williams might very well prove to be the better player.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I too refuse to participate in this ridiculous discussion…

but as long as I'm here...

Draft a stud receiver? There's a pretty wide range out there and that's part of the discussion. AJ Green, like Calvin Johnson is more than a stud receiver… a talent like this is not guaranteed to come out every year. That's what makes this a legit question because typically, wide receivers don't get taken in the top 10 anymore. The exceptions are guys like Green.

For instance, in the 2010 draft, the top receiver was Demaryious Thomas at 22nd overall. Partly due to injuries, he's done exactly nothing so far in his career. Dez Bryant was taken 2 picks later and was considered an elite talent but attitude problems dropped his value. Bryant shows flashes of greatness but has yet to put it all together yet.

In 2009, Darius Heyward-Bey (7th) and Michael Crabtree (10th) were the top two receivers taken. The best receivers taken from that draft so far have been Jeremy Maclin, Hakeem Nicks and Kenny Britt (19th, 29th and 30th).

My point is, you can't just pick a player like Green every year. There are (recent) draft classes which have not yielded so much as a single stud receiver.

And players as good as Green shouldn't be considered "luxury picks" because these few elite players would dramatically improve virtually every team in the league.

Yep. Time will tell. It's way too early right now to be definitive. I wanted Sheard in the 2nd round but Aaron Williams might very well prove to be the better player.

Except for remember when Crabtree was a can't miss, once-in-a-generation receiver?

Allow me to summarize, "99.9%" of the board has yet to respond to this thread.

The OP did not give respondents the option of splitting the picks ("Green over Dareus"). Simply, which combo would you rather have at this point.

All you had to do was add your opinion without embarrassing yourself.

Holy Sh*t!!! The horror of starting a purely hypothetical thread is blasphemous! I even prefaced the question by saying that I loved the Dareus pick! So let me get this straight, we can't say anything disparaging about the Bills (even when it's been well deserved most of the time) and now hypotheticals are out too!?!?

Can you Pollys please tell me what we can talk about?

I remember that talent, but like dez Bryant he had huge diva question marks

Of course. I am just saying that every year you get some receiver whose agent is successful enough to get everyone to believe you are never going to see a talent the likes of his client again. It keeps the copy fresh and the machine running. In reality there is a superstar receiver every couple years.