Are we screwed without Willis?

I can't get anything definate out of the net - and I haven't read anything yet that tell me how serious his injury is.

But if I assume that he and Travis are definately out of action at least until early Jan - do we have a legit shot at the playoffs without them?

I suspect not. Despite Shaud Williams impressing in pieces the past few weeks - I don't like that we are so thin at RB and so inexperienced. If Travis was healthy I'd say losing Willis is not such a biggie - but as it happens, I think we can expect to see out last Bills action on 2 January :lol:

Someone tell me I am wrong... :)

I can't get anything definate out of the net - and I haven't read anything yet that tell me how serious his injury is.

But if I assume that he and Travis are definately out of action at least until early Jan - do we have a legit shot at the playoffs without them?

I suspect not. Despite Shaud Williams impressing in pieces the past few weeks - I don't like that we are so thin at RB and so inexperienced. If Travis was healthy I'd say losing Willis is not such a biggie - but as it happens, I think we can expect to see out last Bills action on 2 January :lol:

Someone tell me I am wrong...  :)

170925[/snapback]

The problem is that you´re right. I share the same feelings. Shaud will be fine against SF, but we need Willis against Pitt and in the playoffs to stand a chance.

The Bills can get by the Niners without Willis,

but that's about it IMO.

Willis is this year's MVP;

without him, our offense is total crap,

and there's no winning streak.

The D & ST's are already playing lights out,

I don't know how much better they could play to make up for his loss.

GET WELL, WILLIS!!!

...look at it this way.  If the Bills can't beat the Niners, with or without WM, they don't deserve to go to the playoffs.

As Rummy says, "You go with the army you have."  Shaud & Burns will need to step it up, as must Bledsoe.

170958[/snapback]

OK, I have Willis as my starting RB in fantasy football. Should I pickup Shaud or Burns as my starter this week. Keep in mind this is the championship game. Should I pick up 1 of them or leave Willis in as the starter?

OK, I have Willis as my starting RB in fantasy football.  Should I pickup Shaud or Burns as my starter this week.  Keep in mind this is the championship game.  Should I pick up 1 of them or leave Willis in as the starter?

170975[/snapback]

Same problem for me - But I hav Ahman Green and Deuce McAllister on the bench :)

Officially, for what it's worth, the Bills describe Willis as "day to day."

[honestly, in a sense, aren't we all?] 

seriously, if we take the Bills at their word, I'm optimistic he'll be ready fro Pittsburgh.

170990[/snapback]

Hmmm - day-to-day normally means he is too injured to tell whats wrong with him... It gives me the willies.

OK, I have Willis as my starting RB in fantasy football.  Should I pickup Shaud or Burns as my starter this week.  Keep in mind this is the championship game.  Should I pick up 1 of them or leave Willis in as the starter?

170975[/snapback]

Go with Shaud in a pinch this week. Doesn't sound to me as if WM is going to compete this Sunday. MM's playing his cards close to the vest.

Last I heard is that Willis was already running this week. He may start but with limited play. Although, I do think Little Big Man Shaud can do the job if need be. Also, if the Steelers win against the Ravens they will most likely sit alot of players for the Bills game.

I don't understand the love affair that many fans have with Willis. I have doubts that he is the right back for Buffalo. Willis has been good but not exceptional. Paul Hamilton, WGR's Bills beat reporter, states that Willis did not like the cold weather when Buffalo played Cleveland. On Sunday, with cold temps in Cincinnati, Willis started the game looking disinterested. He preferred to run to the outside when there apeared to be better oportunities to run inside.

RICO says that without Willis our offense is total CRAP. Moulds and Evans are crap?

I think we must look for another rb in the draft, (whether Henry stays or not), that will relish playing in Buffalo in December and January.

I don't understand the love affair that many fans have with Willis. I have doubts that he is the right back for Buffalo. Willis has been good but not exceptional. Paul Hamilton, WGR's Bills beat reporter, states that Willis did not like the cold weather when Buffalo played Cleveland. On Sunday, with cold temps in Cincinnati, Willis started the game looking disinterested. He preferred to run to the outside when there apeared to be better oportunities to run inside.

RICO says that without Willis our offense is total CRAP. Moulds and Evans are crap?

I think we must look for another rb in the draft, (whether Henry stays or not), that will relish playing in Buffalo in December and January.

171051[/snapback]

I think the problem here is that folks seem to have only two temperatures. A player either is a complete god and we are lost without him, or a player is total trash and we are completely loss because of him.

The two virtually completing diverging views do share one thing in common, they are both wrong.

Willis has been exceptional. A rookie RB a hair away from the 1000 yard mark when he didn't even start the first quarter of the season and didn't even play in a couple of games is exceptional. His play clearly coincided with a tremendous uptick in the Bills play and actually is a major reason for that improvement.

However, despite the fact that his is exceptional as a player, there are limitations to his game and to him as a player as there is with any human being. His production sucked along with the entire running package and most of the offensive play even prior to his injury Sunday. No one is going to mistake his reaction to the cold weather for being that of a T-shirted Tim Krumrie in terms of dealing with the cold.

We are certainly much weaker without WM, but NE demonstrated in both their championships that despite grievous injuries in both years, playoff teams and champions step up.

Can the Bills step up without WM? The answer is the same as a general response to the question raised in this thread. With WM, the Bills even if they did everything right would still need a good chunk of breaks and luck to make the playoffs.

Without WM, it will be harder, but still with a big chunk of breaks and luck the Bills can make the playoffs.

The biggest piece of luck we need is possible but pretty doubtful which is Jax being beaten by a weak Houston team or and even weaker Oakland team in Jacksonville. Whether WM plays or doesn't play has no effect on the outcome of this piece of luck.

As far as the Bills, even without WM we can win out. Last nights Mia/NE game shows what can happen on any given Sunday or Monday so we could lose to SF on the road Sunday. However, we should still be able to beat them because our defense is producing at a level at the top of the league and the same is true for our ST.

The Pitts game was and is a question mark, but given that it is at home for us and would likely be for a playoff shot if the other luck issues break correctly the biggest factor will probably be whether Pitts needs a win for homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. Its why last nights NE loss is so huge. Plaxico Buress, Pitts stellar WR has already announced he is sitting until the playoffs to rest his hammy. A Steeler win against the Ravens would not only put us in the win out drivers seat against the Ravens, but would likely lead to other Steelers mailing in the last game.

We need a lot of luck with WM and we still need a lot of luck without him.